Original Owners - Do you remember...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
I'm uncovering a little history here and would like to hear your story.

When you bought your car was it on the lot already or did you order it?

What other cars were on the lot? Were there many mustangs? Were they heavily optioned mustangs or more basic?

What convinced you to buy your particular car vs one of the other ones on the lot?

how was financing done back then? Was the loan done at the dealership or did you have to get financing outside of the dealership?

Any other details stand out?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to hearing your experience.

I bought my 71 from the origional owner's wife. He was 55 back in 1971 so he

could afford most of the options but he likely bought off the lot cause he

didn't get PW, PL or console. He did get a/c, delux int, 351, auto, PS, PDB.

My theory is he liked the new hi-impact color (they were the new style) and it was probably an impulse buy. He didn't drive it much (only 95K when I bought it in 2005 and it still has origional paint), so it may have been a 2nd car.

I did buy a new car in 1972 and can answer some of your other questions. It was a stripped Dodge Colt, I couldn't afford even the basic v8 Mustang back then, let alone the gas and insurance for it. Insurance was very expensive for a 20 year old for any new Mustang except 6 cyl, but they were slugs and didn't get that great MPGs anyway. There were plenty of all type Mustangs on the lot and the high optioned were in the showroom (no different than today). The neighbor next to my parents house had a white 71 Mach1 w/black strips, which I would drule over. But to me (at the time) the Mustang prices were astronomical. A year later in 73 the first gas crisis hit and you could get Mustangs with "gas hog" engines really cheep. But I was happy in my 4 cyl Colt passing by the lines at the gas stations (and later the doubled gas prices when they were de-regulated).

The dealer offered financing but a bank underwrote the loan, just like now.

The salesmen wore more plaid back then, but had the same attitude and shister tactics as they do now.

Just like now, the guys who bought the high dollar brand new Mustangs are older "midlife crisis" guys ages 30s to 50s. Those guys are pretty old now (if even with us) 42 years later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered mine since I could not find a 4 speed car on any of the lots in Indy. I traded in my 1969 Fairlane and financed $2,500. for 2 years at $95. a month. It was a bank loan secured by my parents. I was considering a used 1970 Mach 1 with a 428 CJ and 4 speed that was available, but at the time I really wanted a brand new car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was stationed at Clark Air Base in the Philippines when I heard that the 1973s would be the last year for the Mustangs. Prior to reporting to Clark, I had owned a 1969 Torino with a 428CJ motor for about six months. Based on my rank at the time, I could not ship it overseas so I had given it (along with the payments:)) to a younger brother.

Four years later, I was still in the Philippines and the 1973s were being released. I thought the '71 - '73 Mustangs were similar in body style to the 1969 Torino. Since I had not shipped a car over and I now had the "rank", I went to the Ford dealer representative on base and placed my order for the high performance version that was offered for 1973 ...the 351CJ Mach 1 with C6, traction Lok, sans air conditioner because the conventional wisdom was that AC would "rob" performance.

My medium bright yellow Mach 1 was the FIRST 1973 Mach 1 to arrive in the Philippines and it was the most BEAUTIFUL car I had ever seen. I can still visualize it setting at the terminal with all that striping and the scoops. Since that time, it has crossed the Pacific Ocean three (3) times, not counting the first time. It has had several motors installed (two different 351 4V, a 410 and currently a 1969 428CJ with toploader and 4.57 geared Nodular rear).

When I can get around to it, I will be installing a bored and stroked 429SCJ displacing 545CI via a forged stroker crank with a .030 overbored block, Broader C6 and 35 spline axles controlled by a solid roller camshaft. I currently have ALL the parts boxed and sitting in my den, awaiting a trip to Cuba, Missouri for my engine builder.

I have not done the "update" to the '73 Mach 1 as I have been sort of "tied up" gathering parts for my 1969 Mach 1 which will have the aforementioned 428CJ installed in it, along with a c6 and 3.91 geared 31 splined rear end... but I digress:).

...the journey continues:)!

BT

In '69, I became the third owner of a '67 Mustang Convertible. It was dark green with a white top and T-bird interior. It was equipped with a 289 2bbl and automatic. It was a really nice car!

At the time, Ford was really pushing the new Mach 1's as they sponsored Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in. They looked good and I began to hang out at the local dealership to drool over the new Mustangs. They had all sorts of Boss 302's and even a couple of Boss 429's! But the Shelbys were the ones I was drawn to.

But as college guy with no money all I could do was look and dream. So every chance I had I would go to the dealership and cruise the lot for all the mustangs, new and used. I had every brochure that was displayed and used to build my car every chance I had.

Sometime during 1971 I became hooked on autocrossing. It was fast, fun, and a cool way to spend an afternoon. Events were held in Mobile every first and third weekend, Fort Walton Beach on the second, Pensacola on the forth, and Biloxi when there was a fifth. I also discovered that faster was also better.

By August '71 I was a working stiff and actually was making a little money. I began to look for an opportunity to buy "my" car. But, the only way I could afford to buy the car of my dreams was to sell my present ride. So, on the evening of February 29, I went into Treadwell Ford and sat down with a salesman and designed "my" car. It was to be a convertible, Dark Green Metallic with a white top. It had to have the 351 HO engine and the 4 speed. The interior was ginger. It also had to have the Magnum 500 wheels with Goodyear F60-15 tires. (Firestones were the norm but I had recently had some issues with a set.) I wanted racing mirrors, the gauges, and the wood grain dash piece that came with the Grande model. Power Steering was a must. The only place I skimped was on the radio. I got the AM vs. the AM/FM. (Mistake.)

I know there were Mustangs on the dealer lot but I can't tell you what they were and I really didn't care. None other could be "my" car. They had always had a good selection of Mustangs. Most had V8's. And of those, there was a good representation of the line offered. None were HO's. As for options, they were across the board.

As for financing, I planned to put about half down and finance the rest through the bank for three years. The note was $66.60 a month. I sold the '67 about three weeks after I placed the order. From then until it came in my only transportation was either a friend or hitch-hiking. On Saturday, April 15,1972 I hitched a ride to the local mall to kill time. As we passed the dealership, which was located right next door to the mall, I noticed that there was a transporter parked in the lot and that the last car on it looked a lot like the one I had ordered. Now this is all viewed from the rear. I almost jumped out of the still moving vehicle hollering, "That my car. That's my car. My car's come in."

I went in and they determined that indeed it was the one I had ordered. We signed a few papers and I gave them a check for what I had in the bank. I promised to come back Monday with the rest since the bank wasn't open at that time. Also on Monday they would do the rest of the dealer prep. I was ready to leave!

That night I put over 100 miles on it just driving around town, cruising, you know. I just didn't take it over 111. Redline was 6150 and I loved the sound!

Back