HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN THIS?!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gees Kevin, this is mind blowing.
As you know, I currently have an ad on the forum for a friend of mine who wants to sell his 1 owner Mach 1 M code. He's asking only 38K for it and can't get a serious bite. Yet there seems to be plenty of people (idiots) out there willing to drop $32,800 on this POS!!
Maybe my friend should post an ad full of total BS and get higher offers.
It blows my mind.

Things I notice during a quick scan through the pictures:
Wrong hood black-out layout, too far from the front edge. Wrong color (but it is purddy!)
Who in their right mind swaps in an automatic tranny into a 429CJ when the Marti shows it to be a close ratio manual trans.
Definitely NOT staggered shocks and certainly looks like it NOT a 9", cant see the hump.
And everything else mentioned by other.

It blows my mind.
The obvious answer is your buddy needs to find a rusted out shitbox that had a lot of options from the factory. Then pull the ol' VIN swapperoo.

What’s funny, or sad, take your pick, are all the idiots arguing it’s an amazing car and floating the worn out “haters gonna hate” line. Way too many online wannabes out there. The things wrong with this car are so obvious and the seller so blatantly dishonest it‘s fraudulent. And yet people still ignore the very knowledgeable comments made on the auction. Stuff like this can take the fun out of the hobby, whether you’re a buyer, legit seller, or just following along.

Rob
I felt the exact same way as you Rob when I saw the replies, and I think Pat (ib4stangs) is dead on in his assessment it is the seller under a different user name or a friend posting that stuff. I also agree with Pat that the high bidder has never heard of this site! Also, Tony, thanks for your support regarding the lame responses. How about the guy that hacked my user name and replied as Kevkenbaby?! That pissed me off, but there is probably nothing I can do about that. I may reach out to Barn Finds and give the whole story and have him reported for harassment. The guy literally is acting like he is in middle school and probably is.

Gees Kevin, this is mind blowing.
As you know, I currently have an ad on the forum for a friend of mine who wants to sell his 1 owner Mach 1 M code. He's asking only 38K for it and can't get a serious bite. Yet there seems to be plenty of people (idiots) out there willing to drop $32,800 on this POS!!
It blows my mind.

Things I notice during a quick scan through the pictures:
Wrong hood black-out layout, too far from the front edge. Wrong color (but it is purddy!)
Who in their right mind swaps in an automatic tranny into a 429CJ when the Marti shows it to be a close ratio manual trans.
Definitely NOT staggered shocks and certainly looks like it NOT a 9", cant see the hump.
And everything else mentioned by other.
Good points Geoff. I hope the gentleman who bought Miss Donna won't mind me discussing what he gave for it, but I will say it was less than where this car has been bid up to. So I feel the same way as you regarding your friends situation. Miss Donna was a really, really nice car compared to this POS. All numbers matching, 8000 documented miles, an excellent color combination, and a convertible to boot! And although I'm happy I got a buyer, I did run it on Ebay and never got the attention or bids this car is getting. I'm thinking it's all because that car is being presented as a real 71 429CJ car and, yes, the color is puurdy, lol.

Good points Geoff. I hope the gentleman who bought Miss Donna won't mind me discussing what he gave for it, but I will say it was less than where this car has been bid up to. So I feel the same way as you regarding your friends situation. Miss Donna was a really, really nice car compared to this POS. All numbers matching, 8000 documented miles, an excellent color combination, and a convertible to boot! And although I'm happy I got a buyer, I did run it on Ebay and never got the attention or bids this car is getting. I'm thinking it's all because that car is being presented as a real 71 429CJ car and, yes, the color is puurdy, lol.
Yeah Kevin, life isn't fair sometimes.. like most of the time.
I have a friend with a real 429 CJ Mach1, number matching but with some changes to upgrade the interior. There are some "faults" with it, but all in all, not a bad car and needs some work to get it to my standards. He refused 50 grand for it. (not that I have 50K )

Yeah Kevin, life isn't fair sometimes.. like most of the time.
I have a friend with a real 429 CJ Mach1, number matching but with some changes to upgrade the interior. There are some "faults" with it, but all in all, not a bad car and needs some work to get it to my standards. He refused 50 grand for it. (not that I have 50K )
Wow. Seems like $50K is a solid offer. It must have some nice options.

Wow. Seems like $50K is a solid offer. It must have some nice options.
My bad, that was 50K Canadian, so about 37-40 US. As I mentioned, it has been upgraded with deluxe interior, but I think it was originally a pretty basic CJ. My friend also has a Boss351 sitting up on a rack and he won't sell that, but never drives it either. Shame!

My bad, that was 50K Canadian, so about 37-40 US. As I mentioned, it has been upgraded with deluxe interior, but I think it was originally a pretty basic CJ. My friend also has a Boss351 sitting up on a rack and he won't sell that, but never drives it either. Shame!
That's a shame he doesn't drive the Boss. Maybe someday he will sell it to you.

Sold for $41,766.00. I'm speechless. Folks with the real deal should be ecstatic. Their cars should have just tripled in value. If the buyer, or any of the other 25 bidders visit this site, please chime in and let us know why you bid on the car. I'm not hating. Just curious.
🙂

Not sure how much it really helps the legit or quality cars. The folks at the Mecum auction knew what they were looking at. But I think the seller knew sight unseen on the internet would be a different story. I’ve heard more bad stories than good of cars being misrepresented online. As the saying goes: “A fool and his money…..”

Rob

Is it fair to say a J- code title and vin was obtained and applied to a 72 F-code car and then poorly represented as an original J-code car.
Almost certainly the case. I'd say 99.999999%. If it has the partial VINs on the shock towers, they were welded in. I suppose the entire car could have been welded around the original shock towers, but I doubt it. The firewall is for an A/C car, so the front of the car is not original. The car does not have staggered shocks, so the back of the car is not original. And there are many other things others have identified that prove the body is not a 71 body. Kevin.

Not sure how much it really helps the legit or quality cars. The folks at the Mecum auction knew what they were looking at. But I think the seller knew sight unseen on the internet would be a different story. I’ve heard more bad stories than good of cars being misrepresented online. As the saying goes: “A fool and his money…..”

Rob
That's the part I'm growing to despise more than the fraudulent flippers: National reputable auction house entities that are endorsing these scheisters and their illegitimate claims/cars. I hate liars... almost as much as I hate hypocrites.

I've always admitted freely that I had to cut the rusted-out front clip off my '71, and the only thing I had available was a '72 FB at a local 'yard to work with. To preserve the evidence and seek approval from the DMV, I cut the S/N's out of the upper fender aprons from my rusted-out clip, offered pictures showing what I did, and explained why I did it when I sent my package off to apply for a bonded title. The DMV case-worked called me thanking me for providing that information, and that there was no problem with what I did. She told me to hang onto that information and the S/N 'plates' and provide along with all other documentation if I ever decided to sell it. Normally, the car would've had to have been taken to a DMV sanctioned inspector or the Sheriff's Office for verification, but since I provided all that information up front and wasn't trying to game the system, the DMV was cool with it.

That thing sure does look weird without the hood locks on a Ram Air hood, and the standard interior with the 'not even Mustang seats' should've been a tip-off. I can't say I'm particularly fond of the spinners on the Magnums, either.

Last edited:
That thing sure does look weird without the hood locks on a Ram Air hood, and the standard interior with the 'not even Mustang seats' should've been a tip-off. I can't say I'm particularly fond of the spinners on the Magnums, either.
Its not really functional ram air setup is it? I thought it was a thunderbird 429 running a standard air cleaner. Then the hood would be the NASA style with the plastic blockoff plates removed. But it did have "429 ram air" stickers on the hood.

You are correct: Not functional at all.

I think the TuTone paint could be special ordered, but the factory Ram Air hoods came with the TuTone, 'Ram Air' stickers, hood locks, and the plenum system underneath (to mate up to the Ram Air specific air cleaner - which this car does not have). I don't recall seeing if the plenum system was underneath or not, but the 'Ram Air 429' decals and lack of block-off plates are the seller trying to pass this off as a Ram Air car, most definitely.

Just another indicator of how half-assed this was car was done - whomever did it.

I don't recall seeing if the plenum system was underneath or not,

I didn't see it and assumed it was not there. There is the standard air cleaner assembly. I did not think you'd be able to shut the hood if the plentium was installed and you had a normal air cleaner sitting on the carb.

Which is something I've been considering lately. I have an import ram air setup. I was thinking about cutting the hole in it bigger so it would fit down around a 14" air cleaner. :D

I didn't see it and assumed it was not there. There is the standard air cleaner assembly. I did not think you'd be able to shut the hood if the plentium was installed and you had a normal air cleaner sitting on the carb.

Which is something I've been considering lately. I have an import ram air setup. I was thinking about cutting the hole in it bigger so it would fit down around a 14" air cleaner. :D
I have an Edelbrock 14" air cleaner on mine with the original plenum installed (mine is a legit Ram Air car). It closes down nicely, and gets a quasi-Ram Air effect, since it's right in the air stream, however it's not true Ram Air. I do have a repop Ram Air air cleaner, but I need to paint it, install it, and run all the of the vacuum lines in order for it to work properly. The original actuators are toast and locked open, and the original air cleaner was missing when I got it, but the repop unit should work just fine. I'm hoping I can keep the 14" Edelbrock lid to work with the Ram Air unit, but it not, it'll have a home on my Jeep.
HPIM1052.JPG

Back