How much is it worth? 1973 vert matching # Q-car with 4speed.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
Hoping to get some more advice.

I looked at a 1973 vert matching # Q-car with 4speed(1-of-292 for the year I think) AC car with compitition suspension.

:

DOOR DATA PLATE INFORMATION76D Mustang Convertible

9A White Paint, Ford #1619-A

Ginger Sebring Knit/Corinthian Vinyl Bucket Seats

R 3.25 Traction-Lok Rear Axle

5 Four-Speed Manual

White Power Top w/Glass Backlite

Four-Speed Manual Transmission

Traction-Lok Differential

Convenience Group

Power Steering

Bumper Rub Strips

Air Conditioner - Selectaire

Tinted Glass Complete

Competition Suspension

The body is in ok shape with some mild rust repair. I will most likely need to rebuilds the whole car(drive train, suspension, body/paint, and replace/repair most of the interior).

The car was originally white with brown interior that I would like to change to red and black interior. Here's my questions:

How much do you think the car would be worth after restoration?

How big of a deal is the Qcode/4speed?

How big of a deal is it to change the color?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, potentially it's worth 8-11k as it is right now depending on how little if any rust there is. The less rust the closer to 11k it'll be. Also depends on how complete it is. The white & ginger combo makes a nice looking car. Q-code 4 speed is not too rare but most came as automatics. Price also depends on other options but the Q 4speed are the two biggies.

Fixed up. Depends on how far you go with fixing it up. A super nice/ extremely nice one can sell for 20 - 25k without too much effort. Concourse then 30+k but will have to find the right buyer.

Do yourself a favor and buy one that is already complete.

You are looking at a minimum of 10 grand to finish this car, and that is if you do the labor

Also, pull the plastic cowl screens and look in there with a flashlight toward each fender to see if that area is rusty.

Do yourself a favor and buy one that is already complete.

You are looking at a minimum of 10 grand to finish this car, and that is if you do the labor

Also, pull the plastic cowl screens and look in there with a flashlight toward each fender to see if that area is rusty.
+1

You will have a ton of time and money in rebuilding the car. But I think you'd have more like $20k or more invested to do it right. Unless you have free access to a paint/body shop and can make it a shop project, I'd say run from this one and find another that is requires less work.

Usually people try and buy more car than they can really afford because it is a project. (I know because I have done this.) They end up with an eternal project and the excuses for not completing it become numerous: Can't find the 'right' parts, can't find the 'right' bodyman/painter, etc. The one that always pops up is "I can't afford to do it right now, but..." Sorry to say but short of winning the lottery - most never will. Better to buy a car that is closer to finished so you can enjoy and drive it as you make it as you desire. (original. lightly modded or a heavily modded car)

The color change will make it not original, therefore the rarity is heavily diminished, which usually decreases the value.

While there is no problem with a modded or non-original car, if the mods are acceptable to many potential buyers, the value stays strong. But if your modifications are unique and mostly popular to a smaller group - maybe just you - well you usually pay for that in lost value. The only way you don't would be to sell to someone who likes your mods as much or more than you do. A one of xxx car is no longer representing a one of xxx car if it is noticeably modded...

Changes of original paint color is a very easy tool for any prospective buyer to use as they chip away (down) at your perceived value. And a good new paint job can cost $7500 and up.

I hate to sound so harsh but I just hate to see you throw good money at a tough task. The car has good investment value when done RIGHT. If you decide to purchase that project - then I seriously wish you the best of luck. And I know there are many great folks on this site who will do their best to help answer your questions as you progress in your rebuild.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe a lot of car guys have fallen into the trap of thinking we can buy a cheap project and do it ourselves and save a bunch of money, guess what, that does not happen.

I believe a lot of car guys have fallen into the trap of thinking we can buy a cheap project and do it ourselves and save a bunch of money, guess what, that does not happen.
No but you can pay for it a little at a time, do as much of it yourself as you want, and make it what you want it to be

The guy wanted 15K for the car so I had to walk away. I added up everything and I was over 35K and that was only what I could see. The search goes on. Thanks again for everyones input!

No but you can pay for it a little at a time, do as much of it yourself as you want, and make it what you want it to be
+1 casp, That's the approach I have with my car, cheap project and work on it a little at a time, I got a idea of what i could do and what needed to be done and decided I would take on this project. If I was going for a show car or concours I would have bought already finished, then again I don't have "already finished" money either. I am doing everything myself, and if i can't do it then it just won't get done right now. Sure not perfect but it's mine and at the end of the day i can say that I built the car and can't blame no one but myself!

Back