Austin Vert Asks About Driving Lights.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi Folks,

I mainly wanted to get members opinion about installing driving lights to our '71-'73's. The reason is that i came across a guy in America the other day who has put them on his '73 Convertible. I must confess, i don't recall or have seen this done in my travels as yet.

By the looks of it he has installed them just under the front bar with a certain spacing in between. They look like they could be around about 3 inches in diameter.(not too big - see pic)

The thing is, i think they look pretty good myself, and am seriously thinking of putting something close to that on myself. But what do you think? Do they look good to you , or crappy, or average or what?

Greg:)

Magical Snap - 2013.09.28 21.23 - 001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking to get some 3" x 6" spot lights to help with my low beam. I was thinking of either putting them behind the grille of the 71 so as to not affect the original appearance or similar to the picture above. I think they look ok.

The ones I was looking at actually had a black cover which swings up as you turn them on.

This would make them very inconspicuous and not affect the original aesthetics.

The seller on ebay told me they can only be wired up to turn on with high beams only.

This is why I aborted this idea.

Instead, I am just going to get better h4 globes like the narva +50 or +100. (Not the bluish type).

I was looking to get some 3" x 6" spot lights to help with my low beam. I was thinking of either putting them behind the grille of the 71 so as to not affect the original appearance or similar to the picture above. I think they look ok.

The ones I was looking at actually had a black cover which swings up as you turn them on.

This would make them very inconspicuous and not affect the original aesthetics.

The seller on ebay told me they can only be wired up to turn on with high beams only.

This is why I aborted this idea.

Instead, I am just going to get better h4 globes like the narva +50 or +100. (Not the bluish type).
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your feedback. I understand what you've said here, and that makes a lot of sense to me.I thought about behind the grille myself but had mixed feelings about that kind of setup. What do you think of the look of the small 3 inch rounds under the bar as per the pic i supplied?

Greg.

Hi Eddy,

Thanks for the vid. It's an interesting look with the big spots behind the grille for sure. It's not a bad look in my opinion, but it might look a bit overcrowded along the front to some people. What do you think about the 3 inch rounds as in my pic?

Greg.

Hi Folks,

I mainly wanted to get members opinion about installing driving lights to our '71-'73's. The reason is that i came across a guy in America the other day who has put them on his '73 Convertible. I must confess, i don't recall or have seen this done in my travels as yet.

By the looks of it he has installed them just under the front bar with a certain spacing in between. They look like they could be around about 3 inches in diameter.(not too big - see pic)

The thing is, i think they look pretty good myself, and am seriously thinking of putting something close to that on myself. But what do you think? Do they look good to you , or crappy, or average or what?

Greg:)
I personally think they look dandy. :)

I'm planning on the very same thing on my '71, with either low-profile rectangular lights, or some small projectors mounted directly inboard of the signal lights under the bumper.

Hi Greg,

Funny that you should post a picture of that....i saw a picture of the same car or one with a very similar setup the other day and thought that would be a good look for the car. I like it and have also been toying with the thought.....also thought about behind the grill.

Cheers

To Ken, Doc and Eric,

Thanks guys for your feedback. I'm glad you like the look of these lights along the lines as i do.

I think the only thing that would concern me in trying this out, would be that you would not want to take away the originality or the original authentic look of our Mustangs.

We all know that sometimes by adding aftermarket or retro add ons you can cheapen or stuff up the look of your car. So some times it can work and be an improvement to the car's look, or be the reverse, and make the car look like a two bob watch. There is a fine line in that regard i guess.

I'm also concerned that installing driving lights behind the grille can give the whole front end look an overcrowded, busy appearence.

BTW, i took the still image from a Utube vid from the South Carolina Muscle car club run. That Mustang took part in the run, and is in the vid clip.

Thanks again guys,

Greg.:)

Hey Greg!

Nice video! Yeah, I think we're on the same sheet as far as not wanting to disrupt the lines and look of our cars. My intention is to stick with 'period correct' cosmetic mods (Cragar S/S's, Lakewood traction bars, long tube headers, etc.), and go with better technology 'non-cosmetic' mods (Duraspark ignition, Edelbrock E-Street fuel injection, AOD, electric fuel pump, etc.). In other words, no halo projection lights or dubs & rubber bands for me. ;)

To that end, having plenty of light with all the rural areas in West Texas (in other words - deer crossings) is paramount. Hooking up a set of driving lights in the grille or under the bumper is what typically happened 'back in the day.' I think if it's tastefully done with the right equipment, it'll look great and not be too crowded.

I'd thought about converting the sport lamps into some actual meaningful driving lights, and I still might experiment with the originals (since they're broken anyway), but I'm thinking something small and subtle placed tightly against the signal lights should be a good solution to satisfy the need for light and not detract from the car's overall look.

Those lights you showed in the original post look great! I don't think they're too gawdy at all, and would be period correct also. Unfortunately, '73s have 'less to work with' regarding places to inconspiuously mount lights on the front grille/under bumpers, so finding the right place to maintain the look you want might be tough. You might consider taking a nice picture of the front end of your car, and sketch-in or photoshop what you're thinking of doing as a sneak preview. I used to do that with other vehicles I've owned when I thought about making changes that affected the overall look, since I'm pretty picky about how my cars look and hate the 'gawdiness' of poorly chosen or placed cosmetics (Yes, some of the more colorful Japanamation-looking ricers make me sick, but Hey - to each their own). ;)

Eric,

Thanks very much for your feedback and opinions.I'm hearing what you're saying.Your photoshop idea is a very good one, and i'll try to do a mock up image of what that might look like.

Speaking of halo lights,one other thing i didn't mention was C J Pony are selling these new main headlights with LED multi colored effect lights. (two versions)

http://www.cjponyparts.com/headlight-halogen-led-halo-single-color-pair-1965-1968-1970-1973/p/HLA34/

http://www.cjponyparts.com/headlight-halogen-led-halo-multi-color-pair-1965-1968-1970-1973/p/HLA35/

I suppose that was what you were refering to Eric.

Thanks,

Yup... those are them. ;) :D

Can't wait to see what'cha come up with. I'll bet it starts a trend when people see how good it looks. ::thumb::

To Ken, Doc and Eric,

Thanks guys for your feedback. I'm glad you like the look of these lights along the lines as i do.

I think the only thing that would concern me in trying this out, would be that you would not want to take away the originality or the original authentic look of our Mustangs.

We all know that sometimes by adding aftermarket or retro add ons you can cheapen or stuff up the look of your car. So some times it can work and be an improvement to the car's look, or be the reverse, and make the car look like a two bob watch. There is a fine line in that regard i guess.

I'm also concerned that installing driving lights behind the grille can give the whole front end look an overcrowded, busy appearence.

BTW, i took the still image from a Utube vid from the South Carolina Muscle car club run. That Mustang took part in the run, and is in the vid clip.

LOL I knew that I has seen the car before!!

Sweet! Thanks Greg - I hope the install goes well and gets you the look you're after. ::thumb::

Eric,

Thanks very much for your feedback and opinions.I'm hearing what you're saying.Your photoshop idea is a very good one, and i'll try to do a mock up image of what that might look like.

Speaking of halo lights,one other thing i didn't mention was C J Pony are selling these new main headlights with LED multi colored effect lights. (two versions)

http://www.cjponyparts.com/headlight-halogen-led-halo-single-color-pair-1965-1968-1970-1973/p/HLA34/

Thought this was through Mustangs Unlimited for 289 dollars, did not realize also available through CJpony.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/headlight-halogen-led-halo-multi-color-pair-1965-1968-1970-1973/p/HLA35/

I suppose that was what you were refering to Eric.

Thanks,

About driving lights, especially the modification of LED's in rear tail lights yet additionally, sequential LED rear tail lights. I never fanthomed that the entire 40+ pages here read about the demand for improvement in looks via running lights! as I commented to the man whom is working on changing the lense design and adding sequential operating boards. I really wish I knew how to send a video of my sequential in operation. Again, I will try to sneak that in but, if still not possible, here is a clip of the LED's on the driver's side.

Back