Austin Vert Keeps It Quiet!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
HI to all,

Now some forum members might think what i've done here is a bit of a w-nk, and some might think it's a good idea. Nevertheless, i just wanted to share with what i've done to possibly inspire others.

The suburb where i live has very close housing layouts.My existing exhaust system is pretty loud.There are times when i would be coming and going at odd hours.(4.00am in the morning and very late at night) You would hear my Mustang about a quarter mile radius around my home especially in the quiet hours of the day.(startup, warmup, idle)

I needed an answer to get around this problem so i wouldn't bug the neighbours and create ongoing problems for myself.

I talked to my exhaust shop and the boss came up with a few ideas.He suggested installing these diverter systems operated by remote control to change the loudness of your system. When we talked money and the cost of doing that, i felt it was way too expensive to go that way. So we put our heads together, and came up with this idea. Basically, he's used small stationary motor, quiet exhaust mufflers, that look like little hot dog mufflers. He's added the correct diameter pipes which insert and slide into the tips on my existing system. He added little grab handles for easy on and off handling.(see pics)

To finish off,thumbscrew tabs lock the mufflers into place, located back and under along the pipes.The end result is fantastic. The finished look is acceptable as well i think.These mufflers bring the sound levels back to around stock factory levels and are very quiet.The overall idea is a quick release or install of the pipes when and where you want.(use leather gloves for safety) The mufflers don't detract from the performance of the car as well under normal driving conditions.Also, you might like to drive your Mustang for a long drive sometimes and like the option of a quiet drive. (don't get me wrong, i love the sound of my system as it is:p)

I bought a little metal box and leather gloves to pop them in when not in use, which can go in the trunk if you want.Cost of labor and materials was around $200.00 Australian. For the price and what i've achieved,i'm very happy because the whole thing works for me all 'round and solves my coming and going noise problem.

Thanks to all,

Greg.:)

IMG_7674.JPGIMG_7677.JPGIMG_7678.JPGIMG_7680.JPGIMG_7682.JPGIMG_7683.JPGIMG_7684.JPGIMG_7676.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great solution for sure! That is a VERY nice looking convertible you have there.

Definitely an interesting idea.

I've occasionally thought of putting on some high flow catalytic converters and quieter mufflers on mine to help with the noise and exhaust fumes, but nah:)

Greg

Great solution for sure! That is a VERY nice looking convertible you have there.
Hi Woolznaz,

Thanks for your kind words about the exhaust system and i'm glad you like my car. Much appreciated.

Thanks for your feedback Greg. Hope you're keeping well and enjoying your Mustang.

Back