Top with glass window vs plastic window: Pros and cons?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
Can anyone share opinions on the plastic window vs glass window on a convertible top?

I just had a new top installed a glass window. It look great and it easy to clean. I have heard the plastic ones turn yellow with age. I think that the 71/73 verts came from the factory with glass windows.

John J

+1 on the 71/73's coming from the factory with glass rear windows. The plastic ones are an aftermarket option and will yellow and crack over time.

Yes, +1 with the glass. And don't let anyone tell you that you need to unzip the sides before putting the top down. It simply isn't true. There is no need to unzip anything before putting the top down on our 71-73 verts

Last edited by a moderator:
All that talk about unzipping and tops down got me so distracted I forgot what the thread is about. :)

Oh, yes, glass or plastic. I'd say glass is better. I had the glass backlite when I got my car and when I got the new top I went with a plastic curtain because they wanted to charge me twice the price of the whole top to sew the glass in.

The plastic is ok for about a year or so. Then it turns dull. I tried to polish it but it never came back to former glory.

What you can do is swap the curtain every year as they are pretty cheap but then again, in the US it might be cheaper to just get the glass installed.

Besides the glass looks classier and more sophisticated.

Go with the glass. I never unzipped the back glass and never experienced any problems.

You'll be cussing the plastic window QUICKLY.

Spend the money, save the grief. LOL

Ray

I unzipped the glass window shortly after buying the car and about a week later when i was driving donw the raod with the top up windows opena nd window zipped in place it just fell out and shattered. Never unzipped the repalcement window and discovered that the windows from different manufacturers are not interchangeable with the other manufacturers tops.

So, the previous owner of my '71 convertible put a plastic window in. If I want to replace that with the proper glass is it just a case of zipping it in or do I need to replace the whole canopy?

So, the previous owner of my '71 convertible put a plastic window in. If I want to replace that with the proper glass is it just a case of zipping it in or do I need to replace the whole canopy?
You can replace the window section by itself, but there is more to it than zipping it out. It is held in place at the bottom by mounting hardware. Not sure if any brand would be interchangeable with the top zipper. Do you know what brand the top is?

You can replace the window section by itself, but there is more to it than zipping it out. It is held in place at the bottom by mounting hardware. Not sure if any brand would be interchangeable with the top zipper. Do you know what brand the top is?
I don't, but I can try and find out.

Back