Newbie from OK

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GonHuntin

Reaction score
My Car
73 vert
Been reading and searching the forum for awhile and decided to join today.

My son and I are in the beginning stages of his 73 'vert project car.

The previous owner purchased the car, drove it home, pulled the transmission, had it rebuilt, put it back in the car and never drove it again. Sometime in the next decade, he moved the car out of the garage to the back yard and kept it covered with a tarp…….eventually the car lost it's importance, the tarp deteriorated and was not replaced. As things go, he never got back to working on the car, went through a divorce, lost the house and had to sell the car.

A good friend told me about the car, we went and looked and figured, since it had been uncovered it was probably more than we wanted to tackle. We went back with another friend who lives and breathes mustangs…….we crawled under the car and, to our amazement, there was very little rust in the floor.

Unfortunately, the owner had never transferred the car into his name and had lost the title. I did some research and we made a deal with the owner to buy the car, contingent on acquiring a title. The owner allowed us to take possession of the car, so we trailered it to the mustang buddy's shop. Since we didn't have a title and didn't want to put money into a project we might never own, we decided to do everything we could without spending any money.

After 6 months, we received a clear title for the car, and now, the fun begins!

How we found the car.

DSC02590_zps806ef09a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site. Great story and good to hear another 73 convertible is being saved. Keep the updates coming.

Welcome from OKC!

The car looks really straight from the pic. Red is common to fade quick. Post up more pics when you can.

Ray

Congrats on the 73 and welcome to another convertible.::welcome::

Yes, the car is pretty straight…….rust in the lower quarters and will need a couple of patches in the floors…….but the rails and torque boxes are in great shape. The inner structure of the hood is rusted bad, but we are working on buying an NOS hood to replace it. In the trunk of the car we found original hood pins and a pop open gas cap still in the Ford boxes!!

It's a 302 2v, c4, factory air car, but my son wants to change it to a 5 or 6 speed and we will probably try to find a 351 to put in it. Car has factory tach and gauges and, somewhere along the line someone added a factory console. The top is gone, but the frame and pads are intact and the pump and cylinders function fine.

Considering how we found it, it's a wonder it isn't rusted into the ground.

DSC02589_zps64605a7c.jpg

IMGP3712_zps62bff819.jpg

IMGP3716_zps5d8da4b0.jpg

Welcome from coastal Alabama!

The inner structure of the hood is rusted bad, but we are working on buying an NOS hood

IMGP3716_zps5d8da4b0.jpg
That's an original factory tu-tone hood that still shows the outline of the black! Before you toss it due to the rust take measurements of the black from definite reference points. Mark it up with a sharpie and take lots of photos. I did the same with my original before the repaint. I want to create a section on the forum to collect these dimensions because the hood templates that are currently sold are not correct.

Please Pm me when you do this and before you toss the hood so we can compare notes and ensure we have them all. Thanks, Don

Welcome from North East Ohio. Nice story. Don't know if you are going to restore your car to stock condition. If you are, keep in mind the pop off gas cap only came on the 71 Mach. Although it will fit just fine on your 73 and is a popular addition to the 71 through 73 cars in general.

Not planning to restore the car……..it is my son's car and he is more interested in building a nice cruiser with increased performance……he wants a modern 5 or 6 speed transmission and, eventually fuel injection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back