Another New '71 Family Member in the house

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForSaleNo

Reaction score
My Car
2nd Owner; 1971 302 V8 2V Coupe
Hi,

Ah! Finally a site I can call home for my 71, other then the Garage. Hello Everybody! My name is Syl, I'm alittle confused as to how to use this site..so I hope you are able to read this. I'm 2nd owner to my Original Yellowgold 302 Grande. I bought her in 1993 for $4,000.00 "as is" I've restored the engine but having problems with the carburetor. I've restored the Vinyl and the front seats and the front windshield. Later, I will restore the paint as the trunk is starting to develop rust. She is my everyday drive and I get looks, thumbs up and offers from around town about this car. I get so much offers that I have to put a "Not for Sale" sign in the back window. This is a great site and I'm looking forward in talking to you on the good and bad issues about our cars

603952_10202120388151250_2008146245_n[1].jpg

::welcome:: from Maine

Welcome!

If you want to solve your carb issues once and for all (2-barrel Autolite 2100 or replacement Motorcraft 2150, I take it?), get in touch with Omar at Just Carburetors Inc (see link below). He's a bit of a distance, but I've never seen a greater artist at work. His rebuilds are built for complete quality in operation, and will not have a show-look beadblasted finish (nevertheless, they'll be spotless), but you'll get guaranteed perfection:

https://www.google.com/search?q=+Just+Carburetors+Inc.&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

He'll also improve a carb where it needs it. Case in point, standard Quadrajet accelerator pump shafts lightly jam due to expanded seals with ethanol fuels, causing an on-acceleration stumble. He's developed a swap with the stock spring and a nylon washer to allow for the expansion. I rebuilt a Q-jet using these parts and his suggestions. Perfection.

You won't be disappointed. Get a nice fresh rebuild from him, bolt it in, connect everything up, and forget about it.

-Kurt

::welcome::::welcome::

Hi,

Ah! Finally a site I can call home for my 71, other then the Garage. Hello Everybody! My name is Syl, I'm alittle confused as to how to use this site..so I hope you are able to read this. I'm 2nd owner to my Original Yellowgold 302 Grande. I bought her in 1993 for $4,000.00 "as is" I've restored the engine but having problems with the carburetor. I've restored the Vinyl and the front seats and the front windshield. Later, I will restore the paint as the trunk is starting to develop rust. She is my everyday drive and I get looks, thumbs up and offers from around town about this car. I get so much offers that I have to put a "Not for Sale" sign in the back window. This is a great site and I'm looking forward in talking to you on the good and bad issues about our cars
Welcome from Latrobe, PA. If it ran and had a decent body on it, not a bad price as a couple of guys from my former residence in the Elmira, NY area was selling them fixed up for @ 10k a piece. In 2000 I saw a cherry red w/black convertible top, w/AT and 302 motor at the Daytona Beach 'race track' going for 20k however I was after the extreme make up of the 71 or 72 which I finally found in 03 for 2.5k however a BOCES shop class project out of a highschool in Pittsburgh, knew I had my hands full w/the restoration or it would not have been on the market so cheap. Biography of the past 10 years of its restoration and between the modding and upgrading, will find on my photo album ie over 300 photos/9 pages. No videos of it yet but if you want to see the videos of drag racing.....see member name 'Luxtang' (from Luxembourg) Even has the a complete runby of the Mustang on the movie 'Gone in 60 seconds' the latter one. On facebook, check out Daniel Herberth whom also at the name of 'pig vicious'(cars name) you'll find some great hard core dragging of his 73 convertible that is so fast, to be on the track, had to have a roll bar(which he fabricated) where his bunch of mustang cruisers are over the NYC/Glassboro, NY area. Great amount of guys on and off 7173mustangs.com!

FYI, after I posted above, Syl PM'ed me about the carb issues she was having with her '71. I asked her if I may repost it here, as someone in the southern California area should be able to help her find a proper carb expert who can take care of her Autolite 2100:

Hi Cudak888,Thank you for the suggestion- My mechanic has informed my that I have to modify my engine to fit the Edelbrock or Holley since he can't find one locally. So I'll have him look into it first before I push him to modify.

Your mechanic has a limited knowledge and ability with carburetors.
The 302 used in the '71-73 Mustangs have a two-barrel intake manifold, and will only work with 2-barrel carburetors. The stock carburetor for this engine is the Autolite 2100, which I presume you have on it now:

https://www.google.com/search?q=autolite...20&bih=928

Edelbrocks are generally 4-barrel carburetors, and Holley is best known for their 4150 and 4160 4-barrel performance carbs. Though you can swap either on your car, both flow about twice the air as the 2-barrel. There is no real point in it on a factory stock 302, if you wish to keep it as such.

That said, if this fellow actually knew about carburetors, he'd know about the Holley 2300, which is a drop-in 2-barrel replacement for the Autolite 2100, and available new. Your fuel line will need to be mildly re-routed, and that's the extent of it:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Holley+2...20&bih=928

Thing is, Holley carburetors usually need to be calibrated and adjusted before being installed on a car. Given that this mechanic's first inclination was to change the intake to put a 4-barrel on, I would NOT trust him at all to open a new Holley, adjust the floats, change the main jets (if necessary) and get it working correctly.

He might just dump it as-is on your car, and you'll still have weird problems.

He may be a good mechanic for other tasks, but not for this one. Carbs are finicky instruments which only work right when someone with the proper knowledge services them.

This is why I've suggested Omar's rebuilds. When he rebuilds your carb, he'll work off the factory spec sheet for calibrating an Autolite 2100 to the 302 on your Mustang. All your mechanic will have to do is remove the linkages and bolts, pull your original carb (and give it to you - don't let him have it), put a new base gasket on the intake, and install the rebuild from Omar.

The rebuild with shipping from Omar will probably cost $50-60 less than a Holley 2300, take 15 minutes for your mechanic to swap in, and you won't have to worry about him bending fuel lines or monkeying things around where he shouldn't.

Please take this advice. Even if you don't use Omar, do NOT let anyone change your intake and carb for a 4-barrel with the excuse that "2-barrel carbs are junk."

Trust me - it can be made to run right in its factory state.

Let me know if I can post this to the forum thread. I'm sure you'll find everyone else to be in agreement.

-Kurt

Hi Kurt,Yes, I am for sure you are RIGHT and yes it is the 2100 Autolite I just read on my receipt from Nov that all he put in was a 2-452 Float..and I'm angry now; but I'll keep a cool head and find someone who is more knowledgeable about carbs-he is a good Mechanic thou. Yes, by all means please share this on the forum thread, Thank you for stepping up and helping.

~Syl~

Dear Syl,
That float would only be important if the float had a hole in it or was absorbing fuel - both of which would cause the carb to overflow fuel through every orifice possible. I take it you haven't had a scare like that - so that isn't the issue.

That said, the 2100 carb floats do not suffer this issue, and virtually never have to be replaced. This repairman does NOT know what he's doing.

Find yourself a competent carb mechanic first, then get the rebuilt carb from Omar, which should run you under $300 with shipping. The installation is easy (easy enough that I can explain how you can do it yourself in your driveway) but you may need someone to set the idle screw adjustment for you.

Idle screw adjustment isn't hard, but I happen to disagree with most methods of setting them, and rely on experience, the particular engine that the carb is on, vacuum readings, and ear. No other way to do it as accurately, but it's hard to find someone who knows how to do it that way.

Best of luck!

-Kurt

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! Glad to chat about our golden mustangs in the golden state any time. I'm just beginning restoration. Once she's up and running we'll have to meet up.

Welcome from Las Vegas!! ::welcome::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back