New Member, long time 71-73 owner.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in 1971 when I was living in Miami my friend was looking for a Mustang. I saw a 70 Boss 429 in the paper for sale so we went and looked at it.
Was a Calypso Coral with 6000 miles and looked like new, he was asking $3500 for it. My friend tried to get the money but couldn't.
He had $1500 saved up so found a 69 Mach 1 at a shady used car dealer for $1200 and on the way home it threw a rod through the block.
After a lot of discussion the dealer replaced the engine but I'm sure it wasn't a Cobra Jet engine it didn't preform like it should have.
I'm sure it was from a Thunderbird or something like that. But I always remembered the Boss 429 and didn't see another one till 30 years later.

Back in 1971 when I was living in Miami my friend was looking for a Mustang. I saw a 70 Boss 429 in the paper for sale so we went and looked at it.
Was a Calypso Coral with 6000 miles and looked like new, he was asking $3500 for it. My friend tried to get the money but couldn't.
He had $1500 saved up so found a 69 Mach 1 at a shady used car dealer for $1200 and on the way home it threw a rod through the block.
After a lot of discussion the dealer replaced the engine but I'm sure it wasn't a Cobra Jet engine it didn't preform like it should have.
I'm sure it was from a Thunderbird or something like that. But I always remembered the Boss 429 and didn't see another one till 30 years later.
Boss 429’s are very special cars. The first time I saw one was at a car show in 1978. I spoke with the owner and he told me he had another one that was for sale. I ended up buying it for $6800 with 13800 miles. The first owner drag raced it and spun a rod bearing. He took it to Holmon & Moody and told them to build it. They put the nascar rods and pistons in it along with a deep sump pan , nascar intake and exhaust valves, a hot cam and headers. The bill was $4500 in 1972, more than the guy could afford so he sold it to the guy I bought it from. I drove it a bit, but it was expensive because it needed race fuel and it would get hot if going slow and the plugs would foul from too much idling. The cam was pretty lumpy, engine would run completely smooth at 3000 rpm and would buzz up to 7000 very quick. When I came back from the army in Germany, the o-rings that seal the water and oil passages deteriorated. I found that out after I started it and found the oil turned brown. I had to remove the engine and go through it because the anti freeze wiped the bearings. After I got it back together, I sold it for $20k in 1985. I didn’t want to sell it but financially I couldn’t afford to keep it at the time and I thought 20k was all the money for it. Almost 40 years later I am still kicking myself for selling it._storage_emulated_0_DCIM_1975-1987 Cars_WP_20170521_005.jpeg

Back