FMX no third gear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalebfast

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Grande'
Hey all,

Finally got alot of the issues worked out and the front end aligned to drive my 72 Grande to work yesterday. It runs fine, just won't shift into 3rd. It's an FMX. Can anybody point me in the right direction? One guy at work suggested adjusting the vacuum modulator, with an allen wrench. I will be looking for answers on here, and on the net. I don't wish to go to aamco...

Thanks, Dale:cool:

I'd get an adjustable vac mod as a cheap desperate fix. Also you may have a misaligned linkage. Try moving the lever slightly forward when driving without letting it click into 3rd. ( if it gets to neutral without going into third, you may need to get it looked at... Have you had the pan off? Fluid levels and filter OK?

I will start with the fluid level, that's the simplest thing first. The trans was taken to the shop when I was building the motor, and a mild shift kit was supposed to be installed. I will check out the linkage also.

Dale :cool:

I had same issue when I bought my 73. The steel vac line to modulator had a rub through hole in it and no vac to modulator. Put on a new vac line bypassing old steel line and Viola 3rd gear! There are two ports on modulator the one atrait out the back is the money port the one that comes out the side is useless as far as I know.

Regards

There is only one port out the back on the modulator, with a set screw (flat tip) just inside the tip of the port. I screwed that in a couple of turns and nothing has changed. The fluid level is good and it's new, also. So, not much has changed but I'll keep updating... sigh

Dale:huh:

I just had a thought... When I had the tranny rebuilt, he put a different converter in it. Would that have anything to do with this??

Dale :idea:

No. I'd be looking for proper vacuum. I'd put a tee at the modulator and run a temporary vacuum line to a place where you can observe it while operating. Can you take the car to the rebuilder for adjustment.?

No, I'm in Bakersfield, the tranny builder is in Riverside. And no, this is the initial running of this motor and tranny combo. The project stalled for a good 6-8 years...

Dale

Does anybody know if the 3rd gear band have it's own adjustment, or is it linked to another gear?

If so, dropping the pan will give you access to it.

I'll try to scan the relevant pages from my fmx manual for you...

I would have thought it the tc was faulty or the wrong one, then the other gears wouldn't work also....

Third should be a direct clutch. Band is only for 1-R, and 2nd.

Does 2nd gear rev out for infinity, or does it eventually "shift" and have neutral where 3rd should be?

Last edited by a moderator:
If all else Dale, i live here in Bakersfield as well and when my 73 Mach with FMX was having an issue i took it to Kern Transmission on Brundage Lane, the owner was very honest and straight forward and got me in and out quick. Have a Camaro buddy running a 502bbc and he is going to them to build a stout high horse tranny for him they come highly recommended. Otherwise hope you can figure it out.

Lee

Thank you, Lee. I will have to look at my linkage and vacuum, and see what that does. I appreciate the heads up to as to where I can go if I have to. Also, your picture at Sonic Burger is familiar, I have been there with my camera trying my photo skills on cars, lol.

It won't shift into third, meaning rpm's keep rising until I need to slow the heck down before I draw the wrong attention. I have not been on the freeway yet with it.

Dale

Shift 1st to 2nd is right. No effort or anything! Im going to get out there and get it back on the jack stands... the race is on right now...

Dale :D

Update:

Hey everybody,

I eventually saved up enough and took my car to Kern Transmission here in Bakersfield, total rebuild- no SECOND gear and metal in the pan! So it now runs and drives and is needing f/a mix dialed in a bit better as gas mileage sucks!

Dale:cool:

Back