1971 Mustang Grande restoration.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC1971Grande

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande, originally bought new by my father in Louisville, KY at Bill Collins Ford. Original color Medium Green Metallic, 302 2V engine, 3 speed manual, medium or dark green vinyl top and interior, and few other options.
I just joined this forum a few weeks ago and feel quite welcome. Now it the time to begin to put together a plan and act to save and restore my '71 Grande. If you have read my introduction thread you know the history I have with this car. If not let me just be brief, this is a second owner car and the first owner was my father. So the car is 43 years old and has been with the same family since the day it rolled off the dealer's lot.

So here is the basic run down on the car. It is a 1971 Grande, still has the original 302 2V with the 3 speed manual transmission. The transmission is not original, it was replaced with the car had about 115,000 miles on the odometer. The car actually has over 170,000 miles on the original engine. (Yes, I can take care of a motor. My current truck is a 1999 Ranger with almost 270,000 miles on the original engine the clutch went out at about 200,000 miles. Yes, one owner truck too.)

So today I did an evaluation of what I can easily see on the car. Body has some rust but most of the outer panels are in tact with few spots rusted through. Concern areas the roof is not looking good, I am very concerned about the chassis, torque boxes, floor supports, floor pan, and some of the inner panels front and rear. Suspension will have to be upgraded as well as brakes, tires, wheels, and wiring. Interior will need a total replacement of all seats, foam, carpet, headliner, interior door panels, and so on. Engine, right now I am leaning toward the 306, 340 horsepower, Ford Racing engine. This is a very significant increase in power over stock and will mean I have to get the car prepped and built up in the chassis, suspension, rear end, brakes, and transmission to handle that motor. I think we all know where most of the money on this project is going but nothing here is going to be cheap. I can do some work myself but where it comes to the serious business of chassis and body work, well that will have to be left to those with much more skill in that work than myself. I can do rust removal, the tear down in terms of getting the car down to a point where I can see what all is wrong (and right).

I will do everything I can on my car but I will readily admit the limitations of my skills and hire out or get friends to help when it gets beyond my ability.

DSCN0286.JPG

Good luck on the project and keep us updated on the progress.
I was just browsing through your project post. Wow what an undertaking. Too bad my metal skills are so lacking, I would love to do all you did to your car. The Lizardskin product seems to really work well. I have the air compressor to handle the sprayer that they advertised with the product so it might be possible for me to do some of that myself to save some dollars on the work. Might have to do a little practice to make sure I don't turn it into a mess.

I still have a lot of prep work to do just to get ready to do my project. But I am formulating what I want to do in terms of color, interior, engine, transmission, and so forth. My first order of business is still to find a place to store and work on the car then I can begin to get into the real work.

I can't wait to see your project all finished.

Good luck on the project and keep us updated on the progress.
I was just browsing through your project post. Wow what an undertaking. Too bad my metal skills are so lacking, I would love to do all you did to your car. The Lizardskin product seems to really work well. I have the air compressor to handle the sprayer that they advertised with the product so it might be possible for me to do some of that myself to save some dollars on the work. Might have to do a little practice to make sure I don't turn it into a mess.

I still have a lot of prep work to do just to get ready to do my project. But I am formulating what I want to do in terms of color, interior, engine, transmission, and so forth. My first order of business is still to find a place to store and work on the car then I can begin to get into the real work.

I can't wait to see your project all finished.
Lizard Skin was really easy to put on and looks really good. You'll see that as you get into it all the necessary skills will come out. Planning and research before you do anything is really helpful when you start a task. I learned the hard way but that's part of the learning process. Good luck on the build and shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

While I am looking for a place to store and work on the car I am making some decisions. Most important at this point is to put together a realistic budget for the job and to do so I am beginning to do some research. To put together a budget I have to make some decisions. What am I building? Or in other words, what is the purpose of this car? Answer, something to drive that has a nice level of performance but not building something to race (in any manner, shape, or form). The way I like to drive, I want a car with a suspension capable of taking what I dish out. So handling is important but so is braking performance, engine performance, and so forth. I have been very interested in the 306 340 horsepower engine. If I decide to go that route then I am going to have to enhance the suspension and other components of this car to take that level of power. Transmission, I have a T5 in storage now that I think will do the job with just a few changes like the bell housing. However, I haven't calculated the cost of fly wheel, clutch, clutch cable, and so forth in the engine number.

Tires and wheels, the stock 14's aren't going to do the job, so these need to be added into the suspension category and right now I am looking at options in the 15" realm.

I think to get the parts together with the cost of the crate engine to get it to fire up and make the car go I am easily looking at $7000 just in parts. No counting there for labor.

Bring front framing up to snuff, still researching so I have no dollar amount to put in here.

Front suspension easily over $3500 in parts alone depending on how far I decide to go here. I could get by cheaper here but would probably end up doing another upgrade very soon when I am disappointed with the handling. Research is still on going.

Rear suspension, framing, rear end, and more. I am still researching and have no figures yet to work with.

Floor pan, I am probably going to have to bite the bullet here and consider a full replacement. It is old and in dire need of repair. Sometimes you have to replace so much you would be better off just doing it all.

Outer body skins, I am trying to retain as much as possible and will do a lot of prep work on these to try to retain as many as possible.

All of what I think of as internal and support for the outer skin will have to be evaluated individually and I just haven't gotten anything concrete going here. So in total I have no budget amounts for any of the body work.

Electrical, no numbers yet. Interior, no numbers yet. All the other little bits and pieces needed to put it back together or needed because the originals have fallen into decay, not calculate and maybe won't be until they are needed.

I am now thinking that the best thing to do is set down for a while and put together as complete a list as possible of what it's going to take to get the car going and up to the level I want. Then I can start putting together a budget.

I also need to set up my plan of action, what to do, what to purchase, and the timing for all. Lots to do, lots to think about. I have a headache now. :D

I also have a 71 grande and these cars stock were very enjoyable to drive, they did lack power, but stock suspension and and new steering box are working very well for me. I replace ally suspension and steering with new stock parts to include gear box and flex coupler. I spent less than a thousand bucks and it is a great driving car. As far as the motor goes, a 302 is very easy to get power out of and a c6 will handle just about anything you through at it if built right. Build the car as you wish of course, I just enjoy the feeling of an old muscle car when I drive mine. Good luck with the build and post lots of pictures!

I also have a 71 grande and these cars stock were very enjoyable to drive, they did lack power, but stock suspension and and new steering box are working very well for me. I replace ally suspension and steering with new stock parts to include gear box and flex coupler. I spent less than a thousand bucks and it is a great driving car. As far as the motor goes, a 302 is very easy to get power out of and a c6 will handle just about anything you through at it if built right. Build the car as you wish of course, I just enjoy the feeling of an old muscle car when I drive mine. Good luck with the build and post lots of pictures!
I have given serious consideration to a slight build up from stock. Rebuilding the original motor, if possible, and just putting it back close to original. Maybe just change things like paint color (the paint on the car is not original nor it is an original Ford color), drop in the t5, change out the gear, and really slash the budget down. Also adding in the 15 inch wheels and meatier tires than the current 70 series 14 inch tires and wheels.

I could do that and be totally happy with the result. That 306 motor just clicked all my buttons the first time I saw it and it still keeps them clicked. What I think I will do now is a couple alternative budgets. Closer to stock and 306. Then crunch the numbers and make up my mind which way I will go. Either way, no corners will be cut it will be right, safe, fun, and done nicely. That's just the way I roll.:D

By the way, anyone know where I can get a tach that will fit in the original dash opening where the idiot lights are now. Heard there are some replacements out there that are original looking but can't seem to find them. I found the dash panel replacement with the guages but haven't located the tach. I might start buying some of this stuff to have on hand as I get close to completion and to make sure I can get it while it's readily available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have given serious consideration to a slight build up from stock. Rebuilding the original motor, if possible, and just putting it back close to original. Maybe just change things like paint color (the paint on the car is not original nor it is an original Ford color), drop in the t5, change out the gear, and really slash the budget down. Also adding in the 15 inch wheels and meatier tires than the current 70 series 14 inch tires and wheels.

I could do that and be totally happy with the result. That 306 motor just clicked all my buttons the first time I saw it and it still keeps them clicked. What I think I will do now is a couple alternative budgets. Closer to stock and 306. Then crunch the numbers and make up my mind which way I will go. Either way, no corners will be cut it will be right, safe, fun, and done nicely. That's just the way I roll.:D

By the way, anyone know where I can get a tach that will fit in the original dash opening where the idiot lights are now. Heard there are some replacements out there that are original looking but can't seem to find them. I found the dash panel replacement with the guages but haven't located the tach. I might start buying some of this stuff to have on hand as I get close to completion and to make sure I can get it while it's readily available.
Yeah I feel ya on the budget. There is a tach that is plug and play.

http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-tach-all

Thanks for the info. That looks good. I also just found a replacement piece on the Scott Drake site. Like them both but that one has the edge with me right now because it is going to let me retain the original dash. The only reason I will go the other way is if the original turns out to be damaged beyond repair from setting all these years. Won't know that until I start removing stuff. I'm going to be buying all kinds of bins to keep this stuff in some time in the future.

We are restoring a '71 Grande and with some body work and a paint job, we will be done.

Everything in the car we kept pretty much stock, of course we used repros when NOS is

not available or Ford correct used parts. The engine was purchased from Don of OMS as

a rebuilt long block, we had all the other parts. The exception being a 770 Holley instead

of the 600 Autolite that probably came with the car. The toploader , 9" rear, competition

suspension, front disc all came with the car. The A/C has been removed and radio is from

a '73 but close enough. The original rear was a 3.25 standard, one wheel driven. The person

from whom I purchased the car installed a 2.75 trac-lock because he did a lot of long distance

driving. I purchased a 3.50 trak-lock from Don of OMS. This is not a numbers matching car

but it is period correct. Don's engine has D0AE markings which would be reasonable for a car

bucked March 16th '71. The only "anomaly" is the racing cam the rebuilder put in the engine,

hence the larger carb.

mike

Well it looks like I have hit a snag in my project before it has even begun. (Aside from finding a place to store and work on the car.) The strut rod support in the front of the car looks very bad. It was in bad shape before the engine quit and, although it appears to be in tact, it is also very rusty with some spots that appear to have rotted away. There doesn't seem to be any place making that cross support so it looks like it is going to be a problem. Either I have to rebuild what is there, find a suitable donor piece (donor car), or find someone to fabricate one using mine as a pattern.

I have managed to search different web sites and find most of the pieces I think I will need for the project but this one piece has already proven to be difficult to find.

Any ideas here would help a lot.

I actually just finished looking through some posts on the subject of this cross piece so I have found my own answer. Anyone up for a round about the bluegrass state visiting salvage yards? Good thing I have my motorcycle to do the rounds on and a truck and trailer for the actual hauling of parts.

I have actually made some progress before I even start on my project. Today I bought a 4.5 inch grinder and some flap disks, going to have to get some 40 grits for some of the project but started off with some 60 and 80 grit to see how it works and get used to the tool. That way I don't grind through the metal before I learn how to use this thing. Also picked up some gloves, ear protection, respirator, and a head sock. Can some one say serious rust removal project afoot?

My plan now is to get after the rust and use a rust encapsulator to keep it from getting worse. Also part two of plan is to get the car up a little further off the ground and put a temporary garage structure over the car. Shelter logic makes some that will work out for the immediate future. As part of this, I am beginning to ask around to find someone to help me pull the engine. That way I can get under the hood area cleaned and treated. The shock towers look good from both angles inside the hood and outside under the fenders. Bad news, the hood is in worse condition than I originally thought. Good news is the strut rod support is in better shape than I thought. Hope to be able to repair and salvage the strut rod support but still shopping around for one just in case. As I suspected the radiator is pretty much toast and looks like I would be just as well off to do a total replace there as well as the light boxes and front valence. Not sure about the cowl at this time, it has some rust I can see but still haven't finished evaluating that. Fire wall looks excellent as mush as I can see so far. No ideas about floor pan. In the trunk area there is some metal to replace like the tail light piece.

So far I have found good and bad, hoping not to run into ugly.:D

I'll do some pictures as soon as I get everything together and begin to seriously attack the rust on this car. Good thing I like getting my hands dirty.

Thanks again for information. I need to make sure about possible zoning restrictions here. Since it can't be seen from the road where I plan to set up the temp garage there might not be much in the way of zoning restrictions.

For my immediate needs and to stay within the budget, I think I will go with the shelter logic that I found on their website for around 350. I also have some treated 6x6's setting around here that I plan to use to make some blocks to get the car up higher. I still need to get the hood off and the motor out before I do the lift, just to relieve some stress on the frame during the jacking up process. Not sure too at this time how far I am going to be able to lift the car. Just getting it up on one 6x6 height would help though.

Let me get some opinions here for the encapsulator. I have been researching some like the Eastwood products and POR products. What have folks here used that gave them the result they were seeking? Feel free to pm me with pics of before and after results. I will say I am leaning toward the Eastwood products at this time and am going to pounce on something in the next week.

Right now I am just shooting on some rattle can primer from Rustoleum or Krylon that I have in my garage for light duty projects. This is just a temporary fix as I am practicing with my new grinder so that the metal I bear up is protected until I decide on the more permanent fix.

Thanks again for information. I need to make sure about possible zoning restrictions here. Since it can't be seen from the road where I plan to set up the temp garage there might not be much in the way of zoning restrictions.
If out of sight from the road, screw the little nazis that want to control your life! Sounds like you have a plan.

Back