CUSTOM HOOD FABRICATION

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
Ok started working on the custom hood tonight..Got 1 side cut out...& the 68 shelby air extractor vent fitted..I need to do trimming of the bottom frame work for the vent to fit from the underside..I was pretty amazed to see NO PRIMER or edp coating at all on the inside of the inner frame work..

100_2210.JPG100_2211.JPG100_2212.JPG100_2213.JPG

Ok started working on the custom hood tonight..Got 1 side cut out...& the 68 shelby air extractor vent fitted..I need to do trimming of the bottom frame work for the vent to fit from the underside..I was pretty amazed to see NO PRIMER or edp coating at all on the inside of the inner frame work..
Definitely a custom look, I've always loved the NASA hood, and I think your look here looks better than the Shelby style.

LOL - no... really?! :D

I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm sure it'll be awesome just like your other work. I'm anxious to hear how well it works.

Are you planning on running Ram-Air as well? I might be interested in doing something like that, considering it's over 90 about 5 months out of the year 'round these parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL - no... really?! :D

I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm sure it'll be awesome just like your other work. I'm anxious to hear how well it works.

Are you planning on running Ram-Air as well? I might be interested in doing something like that, considering it's over 90 about 5 months out of the year 'round these parts.
Eric...I had this same setup on my prior hood...It works very well !!! Most likely I'm going to run a ram air setup but nothing like stock..What I'm planning to do is pull air from UNDER the bumper (space between valance & bumper) With a custom made intake scoop branching off to the air cleaner housing..Not sure if I'm doing two tubes or one..Need to get the engine in first ..I have this type of setup on my 350z..much cooler air than at the height of the hood scoops...Just a hint (Thin wall PVC works very nice plus it's paintable)

Last edited by a moderator:
I say yes your on to something

Looks awesome so far! Can't wait to see done!

Very nice indeed! LOL wouldn't be surprised that if you see that mod showing up at some shows in a year or so.
To show you how far ahead of my time I was...I did that mod in 1986 & I have the pictures to prove it ! I make it look easy & it's not such an easy mod to do ...any body can cut a hole in a hood..But to integrate them to last the test of time ..& still retain the structural integrity of the hood...Well I'm not giving up all my secrets..Also those are oem 68 shelby vents..Try & find a set of those !

Very nice indeed! LOL wouldn't be surprised that if you see that mod showing up at some shows in a year or so.
To show you how far ahead of my time I was...I did that mod in 1986 & I have the pictures to prove it ! I make it look easy & it's not such an easy mod to do ...any body can cut a hole in a hood..But to integrate them to last the test of time ..& still retain the structural integrity of the hood...Well I'm not giving up all my secrets..Also those are oem 68 shelby vents..Try & find a set of those !
86....I still had my 70 Mach one back then....anyway the mod looks great and I know it's beyond my metal skills to do it right.I'm just happy with the Nasa hood for now.

Back