Installing a NASA scoop fiberglass hood w/functional RAM air

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here is the hood installed. It needs some tweaking on alignment but I am 95% there. The paint match is very good. If you get real close there is a slight difference in the metallic flakes. The flakes in the hood appear a bit darker than those on the fender. Once I have it outside there may be a bit of a difference. I still need to polish the fenders to match the shine!

20230313_124135.jpg

Congratulations. Looks great; you should be very pleased with that appearance. I am very happy for you to have success after quite an endeavor to get to this point. How does it feel to open and close?

Congratulations. Looks great; you should be very pleased with that appearance. I am very happy for you to have success after quite an endeavor to get to this point. How does it feel to open and close?
Good question. I forgot to add that bit of information. The second sent of springs works perfect. I got p/n 5667N408 from McMaster-Carr. They are rated to 39 lbs/in. The hood opens and close with little effort. So far without the RAM air ducting it will stay up at any height. I will report later once I have all the guts attached.

Looks great! The vertical alignment with the fenders is better than most stock hoods that I have seen.
Good eye! The picture may be deceiving but there is definitely a vertical misalignment specially in the center. However, I will say that it is comparable to the misalignment I had with the stock hood.

Finally, the last piece of the puzzle. Member @rackerm was able to print custom hood decals for me and I placed them last night. I highly suggest contacting @rackerm for any custom decals you can think of. He even was able to print a Wisconsin inspection sticker from 1970.

20230419_131003.jpg

Finally, the last piece of the puzzle. Member @rackerm was able to print custom hood decals for me and I placed them last night. I highly suggest contacting @rackerm for any custom decals you can think of. He even was able to print a Wisconsin inspection sticker from 1970.

View attachment 75831
Hi Tony, That fiberglass hood looks fantastic.

Back