Manifold and Carb recomendations?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
I have a 351C with 2V and an FMX trans.

There is a local guy who wants to sell me an Edlebrock Performer LB351-2V (2750) intake and choice of rebuilt Holley 6919 or 6989 carbs. Both carbs are 600cfm with vaccum secondaries.

Since I will be transitioning from astock 2V, would this manifold be a good choice?

Also, which Holley would be a better choice.

I've rebuilt my 2v before but never swapped out mainfolds.

Anyone out there have a similar combo?

There are lots of you guys experienced in doing this so any insight would be appreciated.

I am running the same intake with a home brewed 650 vacuum secondary Holley carb. It works very well and it seems like the seat of pants power is better. As far as replacing the manifold it is not too bad a job. On the Cleveland you do not even need to drain the coolant since there are no passages in the manifold.

I think it's a good upgrade.

Ok so the mainifold is good.

I kept reading about the air gap version everyone was using just wasn't sure about the regular Performer version.

Next need some input with which holley carb the 6919 or 6989.

Anyone know what the differeces are and if I can keep the electric choke.

Thanks

From what I can find these are both emissions carburetors used by Ford at some point. As far as advantages and disadvantages I am not sure. Will he sell just the intake? If so go with that and a Holley 670cfm Street Avenger. My fear is with the carbs he has you will be struggling to get the car running right.

I looked into the carbs when I was choosing mine and I found out that;

the stock for carbs are smogged out, yes they work well but not as good as an aftermarket one!

size; I found out with what I put on my engine 351 4V roller tip rockers, pritty big cam 1500- 5800 rpm and the intake to match I should have a 670 cfm carb. I was told the 700 - 750 cfm I would loose performance.

Now that is what I found out from many different places, I was not in here at that time. I have the engine on my run stand and it sounds really responsive and real good, but it has not been in the car yet so I do not know.

I am sure more people will add more info

hope this helped

I thought that 600 was the correct size on the 351C for street use?

Should it be 670?
After much research and consulting with guys here and at the cam shop, here's what I bought for my 351C 2V with FMX:

Edelbrock Performer Intake 2750 (same as yours)

Holley 80457 600cfm with vacuum secondaries and electric choke

Hooker Competition Headers

Sounds like your combination is similar to mine.

Doc

I agree with droptop. With an otherwise stock set up that intake will work well. The carbs are early 70s pieces use on what looks to be trucks according to the Holley books I have. I've had mixed results with street avengers but the 670 will work. An alternative to consider is the Summit Racing brand 4V. They bought the rights from Holley who in turn copied and improved on one of the very best, reliable, and simple carbs I've seen, an Autolite 4100. JMO

Chuck

Should it be 670?
After much research and consulting with guys here and at the cam shop, here's what I bought for my 351C 2V with FMX:

Doc
Doc, Will the your set up bolt right in or will you have to make any modifactions for the carb with electric choke?

Also, will you have to upgrade the fuel lines or fuel pump to compensate for a higher fuel flow?

Last edited by a moderator:
An alternative to consider is the Summit Racing brand 4V. They bought the rights from Holley who in turn copied and improved on one of the very best, reliable, and simple carbs I've seen, an Autolite 4100. JMO

Chuck
I forgot about those. I had one on my GTO years ago it worked well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with droptop. With an otherwise stock set up that intake will work well. The carbs are early 70s pieces use on what looks to be trucks according to the Holley books I have. I've had mixed results with street avengers but the 670 will work. An alternative to consider is the Summit Racing brand 4V. They bought the rights from Holley who in turn copied and improved on one of the very best, reliable, and simple carbs I've seen, an Autolite 4100. JMO

Chuck
I've heard the Summit carb is the way to go. The next carb I buy will be the Summit.

For the electric choke, wire it to the STA terminal on the alternator. Works fine for me. I'm running the same setup sans the headers.

Should it be 670?

Doc
Doc, Will the your set up bolt right in or will you have to make any modifactions for the carb with electric choke?

Also, will you have to upgrade the fuel lines or fuel pump to compensate for a higher fuel flow?
Sorry for the delay. It's supposed to bolt right in with no mods - just the "adapter kit" for the carb to tranny linkage. I'm putting in a new stock fuel pump and that's it. I don't have the engine put together yet so I can't tell you if it will work yet or not. :( Several people recommended the setup as said it was pretty much bolt right in.

Doc

Performers are good intake manifolds and I would stick with a 600cfm size carb. For racing purposes I would go with the air gap manifold and holley carb, but for street use and basically plug and play I would go with the performer intake manifold and an edelbrock 600 carb.

Back