TMI Center Console

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
My '73 Mach 1 is sans console and I do prefer the look. It came with a proper center console needing restoration but, frankly, I like seeing the open shifter and boot. That said, I would also like to have a place to set a beverage and toss various necessities so am considering the TMI "shorty" (my name). Anyone use one and care to comment? My current situation.

I put one in my car & really like it. The storage compartment is good size, & even has a hidden compartment underneath it. They attach w/Velcro so it does kind of move a little bit side to side, but no big deal. I guess I do wish the two drink holders were a bit bigger, but all in all I am happy with it. Cool thing is that you can take it back out for cars shows (if needed). I'll take a pic of it later today when it warms up a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had one of the 'shorty' consoles in my 69 vert for years. Not only is the vinyl a perfect match with the Dark Ivy Gold interior (inserts), it is perfect for bottle of water, etc. as well as handy compartment for all kinds of stuff. Probably one of the best interior add on for a great price you can get. I leave mine in all the time including shows and it gets great compliments. I use the drink compartments for my seat belts in the 69 - something not necessary for a 71-73.

April 2011 036.JPG

They also make a full size which I have seen in a couple 71-73's. If I did not have a factory center console I would have considered that since it also looks pretty good.

I like the original equipment console on our cars but I totally understand why you might want to try a shortly. It seems when ever I'm going for a drive I would love to have a place to put my coffee or a cold drink and with a 4speed it becomes a juggling act every time I shift up or down.

I like the original equipment console on our cars but I totally understand why you might want to try a shortly. It seems when ever I'm going for a drive I would love to have a place to put my coffee or a cold drink and with a 4speed it becomes a juggling act every time I shift up or down.
I have the plug and chug for my center console (in black). It takes the place of the ashtray.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=PC73B+01

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the factory shorty that came with my 71 Mach-1. I also liked that the young lady that always rode with me, would put a small pillow between the seats and sit kinda close.

I figure that was better than having a full console...

A place for beverage is the only thing I am missing on hot cruising through the summer...

I have the plug and chug for my center console (in black). It takes the place of the ashtray.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=PC73B+01
@mpbsr:

I have seen these plug chugs for the long console before - but would they have enough clearance for a 4-speed-shifter?!? I think not or am I on the wrong track?

Not funny the imagination if you shift hard in the fourth and toss your hot coffee back in the rear or in the lap of your girl...

Tim

I prefer the factory shorty that came with my 71 Mach-1. I also liked that the young lady that always rode with me, would put a small pillow between the seats nd sit kinda close.

Enough said. I totally understand that.

I prefer the factory shorty that came with my 71 Mach-1. I also liked that the young lady that always rode with me, would put a small pillow between the seats and sit kinda close.

Do you have a photo? Of the console that is.

Back