Center console shifter section restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Vert 351
I have searched but unable to find what the material is that covers the shifter/clock console, I want to remove it to paint it black but it seems that it is attached to the chrome trim that goes around it. To me it looks like the whole thing was trimmed in chrome “foil” and then the inside part coated in black. Of course after 50 years it has worn off.

My plan is to remove the material altogether and I have bought some chrome Mylar tape to rechrome the edge, as I am sure some of the chrome edge will probably come off

Am I way off? If there is a better or easier way to restore it, I would appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• 84A2964A-ADA8-44B8-B432-6C07399BD013.jpeg
    84A2964A-ADA8-44B8-B432-6C07399BD013.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
This is something I looked at a while back and found that this "chrome" is actually pure aluminum that is applied in a process called vacuum metalizing.
This is a process that can be redone, but expensive, so unless you've got a million dollar car, not worth it.
I did try to use chrome foil tape, but the results were not good. The area of adhesion is very small and even after buying an adhesion promoter 'pen' off Amazon, I gave up trying. Getting around the corners was extremely hard. My patience is limited!! In my car, there was no chrome on the dash bezels, so when I made up a center gauge panel, I decided to just paint it black.
As for material, it is ABS. If you're referring to the insert that holds the clock, there are posts on the back held by spring clips. I think it's three, but without looking at a spare console, I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:
If you are interested in having it refurbished, one of the companies that does the vacuum metalizing is Vacuum Orna-Metal in Michigan. Here is there web site:
https://www.vacuumorna-metal.com/
I had my Dash parts refurbished by them. It was just a little cheaper than buying a replacement.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230422_082835.jpg
    Screenshot_20230422_082835.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 2
If you are interested in having it refurbished, one of the companies that does the vacuum metalizing is Vacuum Orna-Metal in Michigan. Here is there web site:
https://www.vacuumorna-metal.com/
I had my Dash parts refurbished by them. It was just a little cheaper than buying a replacement.
That's the company I was thinking of, but I lost their info. Thanks for the link.

I tried a so called liquid chrome pen, but it was nothing more than silver paint. It however was not the Molotow brand. Buyer beware.
Thanks for the heads up. Usually when I tackle a job I go the cheapest to most expensive route, LOL. I will still try the Mylar tape, which in my mind is already a fail, then I will try the pen, and vacuum restoration or replacement with new last.

Thanks for the heads up. Usually when I tackle a job I go the cheapest to most expensive route, LOL. I will still try the Mylar tape, which in my mind is already a fail, then I will try the pen, and vacuum restoration or replacement with new last.
The quality of the pen repair relies on the pen itself there are cheap ones out there that end up looking like silver paint the better ones look pretty good. My panel had three or four good sized spots missing the chrome and the black was worn off. I repainted the black and used a pretty decent chrome pen and it looks pretty good. You can certainly find the repairs if you look for them but if you look at it like 99% of people will, it looks pretty good.

Attachments

• Mach 1 584.jpg
    Mach 1 584.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 1
  • thumbnail_image0 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_image0 (1).jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 1
The Molotow Liquid Chrome Marker is not comparable with other brands and i have used it on a couple of rc crawlers and it turned out like chrome
Thanks for that info. I have a console I might decide to sell, but it does need the chrome trim effect, so I'll definitely look for that brand.

I finally got around to trying out the Chrome Pens I bought. Actually, I'm pretty impressed with the results. In the pic, the chrome doesn't show as shiny as it actually is, but unless someone were to get "up close and personal", it would pass for the original look.
This was a first try, but I found I needed to spend more time on the prep. The areas to be "chromed" need to be sanded with at least 600 grit wet/dry, doing it wet. Any remaining old chrome or roughness will show. I'll be redoing this again shortly........ or when I get around to it.
As for the pens, there are other brands, but this brand works okay. I only used the large tipped pen, but probably should have cut the tip square for better control. Attention needs to be paid to the raised edges for a clean crisp look. It takes time and patience.
The pens were bought on Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_2360.JPG
    IMG_2360.JPG
    638.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2363.JPG
    IMG_2363.JPG
    578.6 KB · Views: 1
I finally got around to trying out the Chrome Pens I bought. Actually, I'm pretty impressed with the results. In the pic, the chrome doesn't show as shiny as it actually is, but unless someone were to get "up close and personal", it would pass for the original look.
This was a first try, but I found I needed to spend more time on the prep. The areas to be "chromed" need to be sanded with at least 600 grit wet/dry, doing it wet. Any remaining old chrome or roughness will show. I'll be redoing this again shortly........ or when I get around to it.
As for the pens, there are other brands, but this brand works okay. I only used the large tipped pen, but probably should have cut the tip square for better control. Attention needs to be paid to the raised edges for a clean crisp look. It takes time and patience.
The pens were bought on Amazon.
Thanks for the tip! Gonna have to do that for mine!

Thanks for the tip! Gonna have to do that for mine!
It's not quite like the real thing, but looks better than nothing...... or silver paint! I think two coat will give the best look and allow the paint to flow, but not run.
As said, prep and patience is everything. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Back