Changing front shocks only...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'72 Fastback (Mach Badging)
'06 Coupe (Mach Tribute)
Hey Guys,

I am about tapped for money for this year (but I have a bad looking pony now :) ) and only can do minor adds at this point. I would like to change out the front shocks at least and was hoping some kind soul would give me some simple detail steps to do this if possible. It would seem that there are two bolts on the bottom and the one on the top. If I take the load off the top one, remove shock hardware, and then release bottom nuts, can I just slide the old one up and insert the new one and reattach? Is it better to leave some load on while removing top hardware? Should I loosen the bottom bolts while still loaded?... ::shrug::

Thanks for any pointers!

IMG01335-20110412-2008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After you jack the car up undo the top nut(s) on the shaft and the round washer and rubber bushing, once you have that undone then take the cap off that is bolted with three nuts off the shock tower you will need to remove this to pull the shock through the hole after you take the two nuts off the bottom. Then just reverse the procedure when installing the new one. Hope this helps. Tom

Thanks Tom. That was what it would appear to be all needed but I felt it would not hurt to ask...

I have been fooled before...:D
Your welcome glad I could help!

After you jack the car up undo the top nut(s) on the shaft and the round washer and rubber bushing, once you have that undone then take the cap off that is bolted with three nuts off the shock tower you will need to remove this to pull the shock through the hole after you take the two nuts off the bottom. Then just reverse the procedure when installing the new one. Hope this helps. Tom
X2. It's really as easy as it sounds.

Doc

Back