1973 vert buck tag

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Been cleaning up the 73 vert under the hood some the past couple weeks and got the buck tag off yesterday from the drivers side. I tried to get pictures but this camera is not that good so I attached pics and then describe line by line in text.

3F03H21XXXX 76D 03D 925

6E AC PB ADX

AM QM EC BTRAC

BO

Some things like VIN and body code jump out. Is the BO for Black Out? The lower part of the car is blacked out and the car has not been painted still factory.

I got the Duracool 12a kit today for changing the refrigerant. Going to put the O-rings in today and get it ready to vac out before trying this new stuff.

Another question. I purchased a cowl insulation / sound deadening blanket for the car on ebay. Now the guy says he doesn't have it and cannot find one. Where can you get one? Need to get the heater box back in place to finish air cond. It was for the cowl and the sides where the kick panels go. Would not want and original they suck but need something to kill the noise and insulate a little. Last pic is of the cowl insulation before I pulled the heater box out and cleaned it up.

Thanks for the help,

David

3F03H21XXXX 76D 03D 925

6E AC PB ADX

AM QM EC BTRAC

BO

Some things like VIN and body code jump out. Is the BO for Black Out? The lower part of the car is blacked out and the car has not been painted still factory.

Thanks for the help,

David
Check this thread for reference.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-buck-tag-decoding-and-info

3F03H21XXXX

76D

03D

925 => Rotation number

6E

AC => Air Conditioning

PB => Pwr disc brakes

ADX => Deluxe interior

AM => AM/FM

QM => Quarter moulding (beneath door)

EC => Cali Emissions

BTRAC => Basic Trim Rings And Caps (includes dual racing mirrors)

BO => lower Black Out paint treatment which on a 73 means Decor group option

3F03H21XXXX

76D

03D

925 => Rotation number

6E

AC => Air Conditioning

PB => Pwr disc brakes

ADX => Deluxe interior

AM => AM/FM

QM => Quarter moulding (beneath door)

EC => Cali Emissions

BTRAC => Basic Trim Rings And Caps (includes dual racing mirrors)

BO => lower Black Out paint treatment which on a 73 means Decor group option
I'll fill in the blanks

3F03H21XXXX

76D => Convertible body style

03D =>Bucked date April 3rd

925 => Rotation number

6E => Body Color Med Bright Yellow

Thanks guys, that is pretty much what is on the car except that there are not rocker moldings or holes but has the narrow trim that separates the black out from the yellow.

He also sent what he said was the original hub caps and they are the fake mag ones that weight a ton. It has the aluminum aftermarket wheels he had just put on in the pics.

Any thoughts on the cowl insulation?

David

DSC00068.JPG

DSC00073.JPG

David,

Here is a pic...little dark but you can see what I did. Used Dynamat first then put a new firewall pad that you can get from any of the vendors. Should do the trick for heat and noise compared to factory jute pad.

20t1ppz.jpg

Don - BTRAC => Basic Trim Rings And Caps (includes dual racing mirrors)

?

So if the Marti on that car said aluminum wheels ?????

I have seen where that meant Both racing mirrors but wheel covers? And a wheel cover choice of trim rings and caps mandated both racing mirrors?

Stretch but I'll try and bite. Anything to back that up? Good examples?

Thanks!

Ray

2rhsk6q.jpg

Only one ramp? Who's gonna unload that one fer ya, Joie Chitwood? :D:D:D

2it1tfp.jpg

Don - BTRAC => Basic Trim Rings And Caps (includes dual racing mirrors)

?

So if the Marti on that car said aluminum wheels ?????

I have seen where that meant Both racing mirrors but wheel covers? And a wheel cover choice of trim rings and caps mandated both racing mirrors?

Stretch but I'll try and bite. Anything to back that up? Good examples?

Thanks!

Ray
Hi Ray,

I have no hard evidence except consistency among the BTRAC always accompanies racing mirrors. My theory is that the trim rings and mirrors always go together. In all my research I've never seen a trim ring car not have dual mirrors. I believe that the two always go together as a basic package. The wheels could be further optioned up to the sport hubcaps or mag 500s or for 73 the slotted mags.

I never ordered a Marti on this one since I have no intentions of trying to make it original. This will be my driver and toy. Not going to do anything crazy just want it dependable for trips into the mountains to and to Hilton Head.

My firewall pad is still like new so I guess the dynamat is the way to go on the cowl.

Will see how many screws I have left over when it is all back together, thank goodness for digital camera.

David

Marti also has the original window sticker. That has been a must have.
Yes but not worth the money for a car I am just going to drive. I was member of MCA back in 70's & 80's and the rules are just not right. They pick one version and say that is law. Ford had changes made during runs due to supplier issues to keep the line going. I was a supplier and I know how we changed materials and how panels got shipped with date codes months back. So they went in cars and the dates codes would not jive. I dropped out when I saw what a CLIC it was. You had to be in the group to ever win at a show. There is no one right way that a mustang was built.

Just going to drive it and do with it what I want.

David

Back