Front Spoiler Opinion needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbcats

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Fastback 351C
I've been going back and forth with this and would like yall's opinion. My friends keep telling me I should install one, but I kinda like it without one. What do yall think?

18643700635_3bbb977122_o.jpg

18174611668_2102ca2990_o.jpg

18384127755_e8c766cc5a_o.jpg

I can see where adding the black front spoiler would balance out the black rear spoiler and black top, but if you like it without one, that's all that matters. That's a really sweet looking Mustang, that color looks great on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great looking car. I think with the black rear spoiler and vinyl top a front spoiler would look good.

Arguably my car is one of the worst options for a front spoiler. Light color, no other black highlights and a white convertible top as well.

But I still think it adds to the look. The front spoiler is subtle enough that it doesn't draw your attention to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't install it if you don't want it, it is your car after all.

the front spoiler was only factory installed for the Boss 351 cars anyway.

the spoiler is dealer installed or personally installed on all other cars.

it was designed for the 71 boss so putting it on the 73 is a little awkward because of the fat lip bumper 5 mph bumper regulations on the front end.

remember it is your car, your choice.

I took the rear louvers off my car because i felt they just didn't work.

I'm thinking I'm going to pass on installing one on mine... I've got louvers and I still haven't decided for sure on a trunk spoiler yet (probably will).

I say yours looks great without it, although putting one on won't look as "out of place" as they do on the '71-'72s because of that bumper. The smaller bumpers on the '71-'72s tend to make the spoiler look so much bigger and more awkward (IMHO), but the bigger bumper and more subdued valance let the spoiler work better with the lines.

I say you're good either way. ::thumb::

I wouldn't let anybody tell me to add anything or subtract anything from my car. It's your car do what you think looks good. personally I wouldn't change a thing. You have a beautiful car and I love the color combo and the vinyl top and black rear spoiler look great with the gold/green paint. Now you have to decision to make and just to reiterate what others are saying only Boss 351's came with front spoilers from the factory.

Hi Wes,

As other members have said, it's your choice in the end that maters. Everyone has an opinion. Mine would be to say, you could go either way with this. Your Mustang looks a knockout as it is, but i think a spoiler on the front would enhance the look of the car as well, and give it more appeal. I recently put one on mine and did not regret it for one minute. I also think a NASA hood on your car would lift it big time as well.

006.JPG

Greg.:)

To me it's definitely "yes"!

But if you like it without it, that's how it should stay.

I don't particularly like how the front forms this kind of cone when you look at it from the side. The front spoiler breaks that up and evens it out more. But that's just my two cents.

That's a great looking car. I think with the black rear spoiler and vinyl top a front spoiler would look good.

Arguably my car is one of the worst options for a front spoiler. Light color, no other black highlights and a white convertible top as well.

But I still think it adds to the look. The front spoiler is subtle enough that it doesn't draw your attention to it.
Hey Mike,

a friendly suggestion if i may - have you considered removing your side protective strips and running the black hockey stripes down the sides for a great look, and also, giving your hood the black relief treatment as well? That would really lift your car as well in me humble opinion. (just my opinion mind you.:))

Cheers, Greg.:)

Hi Wes,

As other members have said, it's your choice in the end that maters. Everyone has an opinion. Mine would be to say, you could go either way with this. Your Mustang looks a knockout as it is, but i think a spoiler on the front would enhance the look of the car as well, and give it more appeal. I recently put one on mine and did not regret it for one minute. I also think a NASA hood on your car would lift it big time as well.

Greg.:)
Agreed.

But, see here Greg - yours is the polar opposite of his. You have a chin spoiler, but no trunk spoiler... and his has the trunk spoiler, but no chin spoiler. :idea:

It's interesting how they look so different with the "one without the other" look - and has been pointed out before (by several) how people tend to load their cars up with everything offered, whether it came that way or not (seeing rocker bright trim with hockey stripes, for instance).

I'm not making any kind of a point here... just an observation. :chin:

Thank you so much for all the input guys. Your opinions are really valuable being that I am fairly new to mustangs. I think for now I am going to put it farther down on my list of things to do. I'm getting air installed in a few weeks and then I'm going to work on getting the stereo (one of the classic look brands) working with some new kick panel speakers and then I'll re-visit it. I really like the clean look of it right now, but that could change after I get the other items on my list completed.

Keep in mind that when you do it, you're drilling holes and using screws to mount it up - if you change your mind and pull it back off, the holes will still be there. :shootself:

Yep, another reason I'm putting it off for a while. I'm not going to do it until I'm 100% convinced :)

Keep in mind that when you do it, you're drilling holes and using screws to mount it up - if you change your mind and pull it back off, the holes will still be there. :shootself:

Hi have taken the front lic. plate bracket and plate off and looked at the car you may like it that way with out a spoiler give it a try.

18174611668_2102ca2990_o.jpg

18384127755_e8c766cc5a_o.jpg

I added it to my car, because I always wanted it, and I like the look, but like others have said, its your car, don't add it because a few guys talked you into it.

Before deciding to install it because of the drilling and ending up with holes in the lower valance, I made a cardboard air dam, out of black construction board, and taped it in place to see how it would look, I liked it, so I went a head and installed it.

Its all about the look your going for!!

below is my car before and after

DSCF7078.JPG

20120906_172140.jpg

Will and Iyman - I think both your cars look nice. Will's is modded more than Iyman but again I like both. I really like the body side protective trim being intact. What a very rare item to see these days! Classic Mustang.

Boss 351 side stripes aka "hockey stick stripes" are on almost every 71-3 anyone touches. Kinda like NACA/NASA hood with the contrasting argent or black paint treatment. Things like that have become so commonplace. All cars that have not been modded like that are becoming much more rare.

As for the green 73 mentioned as the topic of this thread - I like it without front spoiler but also I like it better without the rear spoiler too.

Ray

I think they look funky with a rear spoiler, and not with a front also. Dad took it off of mine, because it scraped pulling into his driveway. I put it back on.

Meet_zpsc558609f.jpg

IMG_1013_zpsovf6f0ua.jpg
To be honest and this is just my humble opinion I agree with your Dad I was looking at your pics and Dad was right. As they almost always are.

Back