Cracks developing around hood fasteners

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManniB

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi,

The paint on my '71 Mach 1 is perfect except one thing: on the NACA hood, cracks are developing around the twist lock hood fasteners. The cracks are mostly radial and 1/2-1 inch long.

I have made sure the fastener inserts are not binding in the hood cutout/opening and that the fasteners only fix the hood but do not force it up- or downwards.

Is this a common problem or can it be traced back to some kind of mistake made by the painter (the car has been professionaly painted)?

If it is caused by the painter, what arguments can I best use to have him correct the problem (he claims that this is a weak spot and that it always will develop cracks)?

Do you have any tips or tricks how to avoid the cracks during a repaint?

Thank you, Manfred

Hi,

The paint on my '71 Mach 1 is perfect except one thing: on the NACA hood, cracks are developing around the twist lock hood fasteners. The cracks are mostly radial and 1/2-1 inch long.

I have made sure the fastener inserts are not binding in the hood cutout/opening and that the fasteners only fix the hood but do not force it up- or downwards.

Is this a common problem or can it be traced back to some kind of mistake made by the painter (the car has been professionaly painted)?

If it is caused by the painter, what arguments can I best use to have him correct the problem (he claims that this is a weak spot and that it always will develop cracks)?

Do you have any tips or tricks how to avoid the cracks during a repaint?

Thank you, Manfred
Thats a load of B.S. Post up a pic & i will tell you exactly whats going on.. (did they make the cut out for the twist locks?) & that's not the painters fault it's who ever did the body work prep

IMO: More likely the hood lock engagement was set too tight causing the sheet metal to "dimple" which over time will result in cracking. When I push down to engage the pins, the metal flexes just a little bit as they engage, but then it comes back to it's original profile - no dimple.

IMO: More likely the hood lock engagement was set too tight causing the sheet metal to "dimple" which over time will result in cracking. When I push down to engage the pins, the metal flexes just a little bit as they engage, but then it comes back to it's original profile - no dimple.
Bill...That' in it self won't cause crack's I can take a piece of metal that's prepped properly & sprayed properly & bend it back & forth without the paint cracking..His problem is too much filler applied in the area..poor quality primer...Incorrect reducers...mismatched materials....incorrect application of the top coat clear coat..with out a picture it's hard to say

QCode & Bill,

thank you for your replies. Although it was not that easy to take a picture that properly shows the cracks, I hope the one below is suffucient.

The painter has tried to "repair" the cracks by "flowing in" some paint with a brush which obviously didn't work.

Regarding the body work, I did the paint removal myself down to bare metal. I then sprayed it in primer to prevent it from rust. The body work has been handled by the same painter who did the top coat.

As I wrote in my initial post, I adjusted the twist locks such that they do not put any downward force on the hood. So they should not "dimple" the metal.

Paint cracks.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Although this is not related to the prep work or how to resolve the problem, I just wanted to give my two cents on the subject about fastening the lock too tight.

Even if you adjust them so that they don't put any pressure on the hood, it will dimple as soon as you go fast on the freeway as the wind will try to push the hood open thus pushing it up against the locks or pins.

I had that problem with mine.

Usually the metal is flexible enough absorb this and will go back to it's original shape once you go slower.

On mine, the dimples stayed, so I reinstalled the original hood lock and just keep the hood pins for looks.

Anyway, as Q said, this should not cause cracks in the finish!

QCode & Bill,

thank you for your replies. Although it was not that easy to take a picture that properly shows the cracks, I hope the one below is suffucient.

The painter has tried to "repair" the cracks by "flowing in" some paint with a brush which obviously didn't work.

Regarding the body work, I did the paint removal myself down to bare metal. I then sprayed it in primer to prevent it from rust. The body work has been handled by the same painter who did the top coat.

As I wrote in my initial post, I adjusted the twist locks such that they do not put any downward force on the hood. So they should not "dimple" the metal.
Looking at the picture it's a failure of the substrate or top coat...Did you use a 2k primer when you primed the car ? or lacquer ? did the painter remove your primer & re-prime ? How was the car stripped ? If it was chemical did you neutralize after stripping & then use a metal conditioner ? Also was the car painted in urethane ? & did you do a single stage job or base coat ..clear coat & what type of paint did you use..

Although this is not related to the prep work or how to resolve the problem, I just wanted to give my two cents on the subject about fastening the lock too tight.

Even if you adjust them so that they don't put any pressure on the hood, it will dimple as soon as you go fast on the freeway as the wind will try to push the hood open thus pushing it up against the locks or pins.

Usually the metal is flexible enough absorb this and will go back to it's original shape once you go slower.

On mine, the dimples stayed, so I reinstalled the original hood lock and just keep the hood pins for looks.

CAUTION, after reading this post.

The twist locks are for looks only you MUST have a regular hood latch / catch system.

The twist locks are for looks only you MUST have a regular hood latch / catch system.

I remembered after I posted this that I don't have the original style hood locks. I added the 60something Shelby style hood pins that are perfectly able to hold down the hood. Maybe that's why mine had dimples, as the base of these is much smaller so the pressure is not as widely spread as with the twist locks.

I have never seen twist locks in real life, so I don't know if they are only for looks. :blush:

Anyway, better to have the hood latch in place, I guess.

Hi OSM,

I have a regular hood latch / catch in place

Looking at the picture it's a failure of the substrate or top coat...Did you use a 2k primer when you primed the car ? or lacquer ? did the painter remove your primer & re-prime ? How was the car stripped ? If it was chemical did you neutralize after stripping & then use a metal conditioner ? Also was the car painted in urethane ? & did you do a single stage job or base coat ..clear coat & what type of paint did you use..

Hi QCode,

here are my answers (to the best of my knowledge)

Q: Did you use a 2k primer when you primed the car ?

A: Yes

Q: Did the painter remove your primer & re-prime ?

A: Don't know

Q: How was the car stripped ?

A: Sandblasted

Q: Also was the car painted in urethane ?

A: Sikkens CM 432 D4 (not sure about Manufacturer)

Q: Did you do a single stage job or base coat ..clear coat

A: Sigle stage

Q: what type of paint did you use..

A: see above

The painter is certified and does have a good reputation:

http://www.lackiererei-dauerer.de/

- Manfred

Hi QCode,

here are my answers (to the best of my knowledge)

Q: Did you use a 2k primer when you primed the car ?

A: Yes

Q: Did the painter remove your primer & re-prime ?

A: Don't know

Q: How was the car stripped ?

A: Sandblasted

Q: Also was the car painted in urethane ?

A: Sikkens CM 432 D4 (not sure about Manufacturer)

Q: Did you do a single stage job or base coat ..clear coat

A: Sigle stage

Q: what type of paint did you use..

A: see above

The painter is certified and does have a good reputation:

http://www.lackiererei-dauerer.de/

- Manfred
Manfred...I was a sikkens & spies hecker shop for many years ..Very good products..If he's a certified sikkins shop you should have a sikkens rep come look at the car..Sikkens gives a lifetime warrenty to the oringal purchaser of the paint job or repair work done with their products..I offered that warrenty in my shop plus I guarented my craftsmenship for as long as you owned the car.. There's an obivious problem with ethier the material..the process used...or the application..Get a sikkens rep out to inspect it...

http://www.sikkens.net/sikkenscr/US/Products/Pages/WarrantyOverview.aspx

Bill...That' in it self won't cause crack's I can take a piece of metal that's prepped properly & sprayed properly & bend it back & forth without the paint cracking..His problem is too much filler applied in the area..poor quality primer...Incorrect reducers...mismatched materials....incorrect application of the top coat clear coat..with out a picture it's hard to say
Yup, I see and concede your point as the most probable cause. However I think having them too tight may have contributed. My sheet metal flexes as they engage (as you push down), but the paint has held up for 13 years with no cracking.

Yup, I see and concede your point as the most probable cause. However I think having them too tight may have contributed. My sheet metal flexes as they engage (as you push down), but the paint has held up for 13 years with no cracking.

Bill,

let me repeat from my initial post that I have taken extra care to make sure the locks do not force the hood in any direction when engaging. The metal does not flex visibly.

Regards, Manfred

Back