Hobby Car Lift...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

Just installed my new Babco scissor lift to assist with the restoration and for use re: future car maintenance in general. Too bad it did not arrive sooner, completed the tear down without... Now using for the paint stripping. This is a good solid unit for the $$. What else are people using out there?

Babco Hoist.jpg

Last edited:
I got mine with the car as a package deal.... it is a Hanmecson and i dont know how will it be without it... makes it a breeze to work with the suspension and steering.

uploadfromtaptalk1445646407068.jpg

1971 M-code Mach 1

BTW.... i always use a couple of jack stands at the crossing just in case as a 3rd level of safety. It took me a while to trust being under the car. The 1st level are the hydraulics, then the lock and the jack stands give me an extra piece of mind.

However, dont forget to remove the stands when you lower the hoist. Once it contacts the stands the hoist and car will start leaning forward.... dont ask me how I know.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I will take time to get familiar and comfortable with it. I did research it well before purchasing and know that it is a good unit. But like anything, it is how you treat them as to their longevity... I will be purchasing some additional tall jack stands to put under for those times I will be under for extended periods. I will not take chances.

I had a car drop on me once... around 1980, an AMC Gremlin. Fortunately, it was just on a jack about 16" off the ground. I was under the car with no stands... if it had have been a full size car... Have never looked back when it comes to safety moving forward...

This unit will be great for the reassembly of the car after painting.

You did well with the car and lift combo! Cheers.

Yes, I looked at a few variations of those, but in the end, the deciding factor for me was the lack of a concrete garage floor thick enough to secure the post too, when using that style lift.

I also like the compact aspect of the scissor lift, out of site out of mind, even when not in use, you just drive over it... I don't plan on changing to many transmissions, so the lack of access with this type of jack is a non-issue for me. I can still get at the underside of the engine no problem, which is great for oil changes, etc.

Everyone has their needs, expectations and limiting factors when deciding on the type of hoist; but in the end, I spent 35 years crawling around on the floor with jack stands, etc. Finally have something that I can use now for the resto. and afterwards for daily use, that will make my life easier....

Back