Removing the clutch assist spring safely

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
Lol...The words "Monstrous and Big" describing that spring made me think of a incident with a 67 Mustang I owned. It was a 289 4sp car and I was young, so I tried to kill it every time I drove it. Countless speed shifts and abuse had taken its toll on the under dash pedal hanger. I had actually busted the part of the hanger where the pedal shaft bushing went. You could still drive the car but had to drive with a left bare foot so you could wrap your toes around the clutch pedal to push to the left as you depressed the pedal. If you didn't, it would catch the left edge of the brake pedal it was flopping around so much! Looked under the dash, saw that big A$$ spring and knew "Can't touch that"!! Dropped car at dealer and requested a mechanic/friend to do the work. When I arrived to pick repaired car up, he met me at shop entrance. "Don't ever request me do something like that again" He Snorted! The spring was almost in, slipped and flew out and almost broke his fingers. He also told Service Manager that was his first and last one. Hmmm, don't think I got a Christmas card from him that year either!

I took another approach, but meant removing the dash top and gauges. Not a hard job, just need to be careful not to damage anything. That exposed the B/A spring and rather than dealing with the pressure that was on it, it's a compression spring, not an expansion spring as on other years, I took the easy way out. I cut it in two with a Dremel cut off wheel after first protecting the wire etc. so sparks wouldn't do any damage. You'll need to be careful NOT to go at it too hard as you don't want ; a/ a fire and b/ you DO NOT want the spring flying out. Once cut, it was easy to remove. Only problem is I don't have a spring to put back if I ever (unlikely) go back to a long finger style clutch. That was my approach, but not the only one.... be careful!

I've read that if you put coins between the coils of the spring when the clutch pedal is fully down, then when you raise the clutch pedal the coins are held in place, the spring is extended over normal, and falls out from the retaining holder up under the dash. I'm not sure if this will work for 71-3's, but it is worth at least looking at.

I've read that if you put coins between the coils of the spring when the clutch pedal is fully down, then when you raise the clutch pedal the coins are held in place, the spring is extended over normal, and falls out from the retaining holder up under the dash. I'm not sure if this will work for 71-3's, but it is worth at least looking at.

I have tried this using flat washers, horrible idea, it took me hours to get the washers out.the spring has so much pressure on it that even stepping on and off the clutch did not release them, they were jammed in very tightly.

If you look at the picture you can see the size of the spring and there is a lot of pressure between each coil.

I would have been better off using a flat shaft screw driver because it would have been easier to pry out of there, you at least have something to get a hold of to pull out.

with the washers (or coins) you don't have any room to stick something in to pry the coils apartphoto-1.JPG

That looks like the earlier style spring. It works in tension. The 71-73 Mustangs use a larger diameter wire and coil in compression.

this bad boy

2w655av.jpg

Might be why you had difficulty

Jeff is correct. The C2AZ-7534-A was the spring used in my 67 Mustang that caused my mechanic/friend such grief. Although my Mach 1's are C6's I had a female "Friend" with a 4sp 71 Mach I helped replace the clutch and remember seeing the second spring shown under the dash.

Jeff is correct. The C2AZ-7534-A was the spring used in my 67 Mustang that caused my mechanic/friend such grief. Although my Mach 1's are C6's I had a female "Friend" with a 4sp 71 Mach I helped replace the clutch and remember seeing the second spring shown under the dash.
SORRY GUYS ; I SHOULD HAVE SAID, I WAS WORKING ON MY 68 MUSTANG (not my 73) When I seen the reply about using coins in the spring; I had a "FLASH BACK" to what a pain it was get those flat washers out. It seemed like such a good idea at the time, I thought all I would have to do is step on the pedal and they would all fall out Boy was I wrong...:imsorry::imsorry:

Larry

Back