if you have closed chamber heads and use .005 deck height and have at least around 9.0 compression, you should use cometic .035" thick head gaskets to get the quench/squish clearance correct but they are $200.00 a pair,

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buy a 60 grit flap wheel for your grinder and deburr the parting lines on the outside of your block's casting before the work is done and you'll save your self some scratches and cuts and have a better looking engine

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Thanks for all the tips guys.

A question, is the 400M a crappy engine? I found rebuilt one for about 700 dollars. Abot the same price as just a rebuild kit for my 351c, the 400 is a little bit cheaper.

And more than half the price of everything combined that i need for my engine.

The 400 would drop right in the car if im not mistaken?

Can i use my 351c heads with the aluminium intake on the 400?

Im thinking maybe buy and drop the 400 in so i can get the car going and build a proper cleveland without such a strict budget and time.

1972 Mercury Cougar XR-7 2dr hardtop

Thanks for all the tips guys.

A question, is the 400M a crappy engine? I found rebuilt one for about 700 dollars. Abot the same price as just a rebuild kit for my 351c, the 400 is a little bit cheaper.

And more than half the price of everything combined that i need for my engine.

The 400 would drop right in the car if im not mistaken?

Can i use my 351c heads with the aluminium intake on the 400?

Im thinking maybe buy and drop the 400 in so i can get the car going and build a proper cleveland without such a strict budget and time.

351c heads will work on a 400 but the intake will not and I think a 400 will need a different bell housing.

Correct, plus the 400 in stock form was not a well respected engine. Here in the United States the term "boat anchor" was used yo describe it as in, that is all is is good for.

In reality the 400 can be a fantastic engine- The factory retarded camshaft timing to reduce emissions. With a modern cam set without the cam retarded, Cleveland 4V heads, custom pistons and balancing . . . it can be a beast.

What you can buy that cheaply is probably just a stock motor with maybe fresh rings and bearings, timing chain and gasket set-don't do it

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Well thats a bummer. Would have been nice just to have a driveable engine in the car so i could build the cleveland the way i want it and not rush the job.

But a replacement cleveland is like 1900-2300 dollars, and that is a 2V engine in unknown condition. IF i find one.

I think ill make this rebuild as low budget as possible right now, and then yank the engine again next winter, or the one after that, depending on how how the job situation looks for me and the wife, and do a more performance oriented build then.

http://postimg.org/image/cwlx07fj7/

Just thought Id post a pic of my snapped oil pump shaft. I think the pump probably is very siezed. :whistling:

Engine coming out on saturday! Just hoping the crankshaft is okay *fingers crossed* so i dont have to deal with that expense.

So, engine out and dissassembled.

Lots of junk in the bottom end, most wierd was that it was full of stuff that look like needles, or half bobby pins.

They where everywhere, stuck between the rods, in the oil pickup, in the pan...

The crankshaft is probably going to need a regrind sadly, i feel the scratches with my nail.

20160316_223740.thumb.jpg.b966f9b6879cb888bbb8ef3ebe82b65d.jpg

20160316_223757.thumb.jpg.f83a41ece073b1d6550b72a78e3f9e3e.jpg

Wire brush bristles, I suspect. That leads me to believe the top end was gunked up badly and someone tried to clean it with an improper method.

Actually, i just found the cause the "needles"...

This almost makes me cry because of the stupidity in some people.

So... someone has actually MIG welded the oil pan, almost certainly with the engine in the car from the looks inside of the oil pan.

So its in fact pieces of welding wire....

Laugh or cry? Both?20160317_213558.thumb.jpg.7a53ca3f6033a9b94f0adc619dd0cefb.jpg

well I'd suggest laughing. Tears are salt water and might rust your project

Haha yes i guess so :D

Well, taking the pan to work tomorrow for a proper clean and sandblasting.

Cleaning the rest of the engine, block etc. With a hot water pressure washer at a friends place the day after.

Going to start ordering parts tomorrow.

Lets get this party started :cool:

Well this is going to be more expensive than i though.

It seems i will both need to bore the block and machine the crank.. about 800 dollars right there, 780 dollars for the rebuild kit and about 350 dollars for other things needed like head bolts, oil pickup etc.

Adds up to about 1930 dollars.

Oh whell :-/

20160319_152736.thumb.jpg.672a066fe103fc96bf1869df256f3ce2.jpg

20160320_192312.thumb.jpg.c3469bb9c6a965696126175538fc8aac.jpg

20160317_212823.thumb.jpg.29c2d07829c1f060dceaee4ddecc5dd2.jpg

Bad news... :-/

But a freshly and ready to build-in Cleve is way more than that... In this case you know what you have done to the engine when it's refreshed - in other cases you often do not know what the PO did...

Keep on going ::thumb::

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :angel:

Timachone:

Yes that is true :) still a lot of money though... i just hope the cylinders are boreable, that the scratches are not to deep. 0.030 is about maximum in a cleveland if i understand right?

Omie01: oh man, im glad im not at those numbers :D

some scratches are not a big problem if they are below the rings when the piston is at the bottom of the stroke.

If you look at the picture i posted the scratches almost covers the entire lenght of the cylinder :-/

One is deeper than the others though.

Really hope its boreable

some scratches are not a big problem if they are below the rings when the piston is at the bottom of the stroke.

If you look at the picture i posted the scratches almost covers the entire lenght of the cylinder :-/

One is deeper than the others though.

Really hope its boreable

yes, but the point is that if there are only some left below the rings after it is bored, it will be ok.

Also, you can have it offset bored if all the scratches are on the dame side.

the only way to really know what is going on with the cylinder thickness is to have it sonic checked.

Oh okey, then i understand!

Well its just down to hoping then, the cylinders are also badly scratched on the opposite side of the wall so offset bore is not possible.

The big scratch in the middle is kind of deep, thats the one that worries me.

In a 0.030 bore you shave 0.015 inches of the walls (correct me if im wrong), so the scratches cant be deeper then 0.015"/0.381mm?

Thats like nothing...

I have not inspected the other cylinders so thourogly so they might be better, or worse...

Good news! Cylinders are boreable at 0.30! Leaving the block and crank at the shop on tuesday.

Bad news is that it will set me back 900 dollars.

But is has to be done.

One step closer to doing donuts on my driveway :D::thumb::

Block and crank left at the machine shop today! Also he's putting in new cam bearings for me.

Bought oil pump driveshaft, oil pickup, cam bearings and a bunch of other stuff today.

Just waiting for him to measure the crank to know what bearings to order and then im set.

Block is done, waiting for him do do the crank now. Hopefully he is done by friday.

Question since i never bored an engine before, when choosing head gaskets, i guess i need different ones for the now 4.030" bore.

Now the head gaskets are included in the rebuild kit, and i have to specify oversizes myself.

Looking at summit, they range from 4.060" to 4.185". And some of both say 4.060 and 4.100 says they are for 0.30" bore.

What should i use?

Another question. Will the 600cfm edelbrock thats on the car right now be enough with the new setup?

do you have closed chamber heads?

are your pistons flat tops?

are you building a performance engine?

Open chamber 2V heads, flat top pistons.

Not really performance, mild street setup.