Sunroof?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ford did offer the "Sun Roof" in the Cougar but I do not think in Mustang. I almost bought a cougar because of that option but just did not like the styling of cougar in 73 so went with Mach 1. Also looked at Pantera but they were double the mustang price.

I went to my go to site for scanned brochures and a 1971 cougar had the sun roof option and I am pretty sure was around in 73 when I was shopping.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/brochuredisplay.cgi?year=1971&manuf=Ford&model=Mercury&smod=&page=17&scan=17

It had like a vinyl top also that is on the one for sale. I am betting it is a factory sun roof and great price.

David

David, not sure but I believe the sun roof became an option starting with the 67 Cougar and ran through 1973 on the first generation Cougars. ASC (American Sunroof Corp) had approached Ford Years earlier about offering the Sun roof on T-Birds and had done well with them. Guess Ford figured since the Cougar was more upscale and luxury orientated the sun roof would sell better on the Cougar rather than the "Performance" crowd the Mustang enjoyed. I know right into the 80's and up if we had a sun/moon roof part on back order from Ford we could expect a Vender direct ship from ASC. Since Mustang/Cougar shared the same assembly line it was certainly a possibility to get any cougar option if you had the $$. Only problems I see now is good luck finding repair parts on such a rare option and without some sort of documentation your buddies at MCA would tear you a new one! Lol

Ahhh..the Pantera! When stationed in GA one of my friends was looking for a "Sleeper" fast car so he didn't want a Mustang. We heard the Mercury dealer in Macon had transformed some Comet GT's into "Bob Cats" by installing 4bl alum intakes, 4speeds, headers, dual exhausts, and nice rims. While there we looked at Pantera's and gasped at the $10,000.00 price. Little did we know that years later what a bargain that car really was!

Oh yeah, my friend bought one of those "Bob Cats" and as the expression goes, "It would double barrel haul A$$"!!

Back