4R70W transmission swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaZanetti

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1.
Good Evening all, has anyone in the community swapped out their original transmission for a modern upgrade like the 4R70W? We are considering this as an alternative to the Gear Vendors C6 overdrive. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Good Evening all, has anyone in the community swapped out their original transmission for a modern upgrade like the 4R70W? We are considering this as an alternative to the Gear Vendors C6 overdrive. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
Hello Bubba,
I haven't done the swap, but have been considering either a 5 speed manual or AOD swap. But I've been talking to a transmission rebuilder and he says he doesn't even want to mess with AODs anymore. Not strong enough (we weren't even talking high hp/tq) and not a real 4th overdrive. He said the 4rw70 is a much better choice even though you need a controller.
And say hello to Johnny the Boy...

I am in the middle of a rebuild with the 4R70w swap. I decided on the swap because I have been on a mission to go EFI on my Cleveland. Something I have always wanted to and the stars lined up for me. I find driving modern fuel injected cars such a pleasure and I can’t wait to see how it all turns out.
I am using an EEC-V controller from a 2004 crown Vic to run the SEFI with coil on plugs. Crown Vic’s also have 4R70W transmissions so it’s the perfect way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. You have to be careful in selecting your tranny though. There were only a couple years where the Crown Vic had the right bellhousing pattern to fit a SBF. Your best bet, according to Joe Persad, the resident expert on the swap, is to find a 4R70W from a 2003 Mustang V6. He can fill you in on many of the particulars but the Essex Bellhouse pattern is the main one. I followed his advice and even found one with the option to run your old speedo cable for your speed gauge. The 4R is a tad bit longer than my old FMX was but Joe has an answer for that too. He builds and sells a cross-member tranny mount with a shifter rod so you can use your old shifter.
Other than that you can use a newer 4R and get a bellhousing adapter kit but last I looked it’s at least $1K extra. If you aren’t interested in Ford ECUs to run EFI and/or your transmission your can buy a simple tranny shift controller that will do it all for you.
Congratulations on peering into the rabbit hole. I been down here for a couple years working on my rebuild and the 4R is one of the cornerstones.

My 65 convert has an AODE - the close ratio version of the 4R70W. It is behind a well built roller cam, rail injection, 427W.

The trans, at my door, was about $1500. The triple disk converter was another $800 - kinda rare.

The trans has a Baumman controller. That gets me four, switchable on-the-fly profiles - town/freeway, sensible/drag, flat land/mountain,,.

I am going to try to stuff an E4OD in my 73. Behind a 532.

Hello Bubba,
I haven't done the swap, but have been considering either a 5 speed manual or AOD swap. But I've been talking to a transmission rebuilder and he says he doesn't even want to mess with AODs anymore. Not strong enough (we weren't even talking high hp/tq) and not a real 4th overdrive. He said the 4rw70 is a much better choice even though you need a controller.
And say hello to Johnny the Boy...
I just completed an AOD install on my car (73) built locally by a guy that asked HP/TQ numbers as he builds them to 1000 HP. My 427 Windsor makes 470HP and 560 ft-lbs of torque. Lentech makes a valve body that eliminates the 3-4 shift making a true 1-2-3-OD transmission. I have been driving it some, weather dependant, and it is a joy. I was out with it today. It replaced my Tremec 5 speed.

Back