Sail panel install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
Never ending re construction of the rear seat package tray/trunk divider area.

How are the sail panels attached? I see 3,  ( I think), brackets attached to the car on each side. The old panels I have are  just a piece of cardboard (?) covered in the matching interior color fabric. There is nothing on the back side to attach to the brackets. I originally had them held up with Velcro. I am planning to order new panels as long as I have everything apart. The package tray trim panel (the metal panel directly in front of the rear window, and bought from OMS as I never had one in the car) has a slot in it on each side that appears to be for the rear end of the sail panels, and I remember the front was pinched under the rear quarter window trim, but what keeps the center from bowing?

Thanks in advance........Dan

The new panels will come with a clip much like the ones on the door panels.  They're stuck on with some rather flimsy tape - you might want to bolster it with something better.

Get it into position, glue the trailing (backlight) and forward edges, then 'pop' the clip into place.  The rest should be held in-place by the other trim pieces.

Never ending re construction of the rear seat package tray/trunk divider area.

How are the sail panels attached? I see 3,  ( I think), brackets attached to the car on each side. The old panels I have are  just a piece of cardboard (?) covered in the matching interior color fabric. There is nothing on the back side to attach to the brackets. I originally had them held up with Velcro. I am planning to order new panels as long as I have everything apart. The package tray trim panel (the metal panel directly in front of the rear window, and bought from OMS as I never had one in the car) has a slot in it on each side that appears to be for the rear end of the sail panels, and I remember the front was pinched under the rear quarter window trim, but what keeps the center from bowing?

Thanks in advance........Dan
There is a small piece of card that is glued to the panel it has a slot in it that u put a door panel clip in it thats what holds the centre in place.

posted image

Yeah - that's it.  Mine popped off after test-fitting, which is why I suggested bolstering it with some better tape or something.

Back