Can you help me in identifying these wheels?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351, FMX, A/C (well, parts of it anyways!)
1971 Mach 1, 351, FMX
1965 Convertible, 289, 4-speed
Hello!

I have a chance to buy these wheels from a friend but not sure exactly what they are.  I've only seen photos up to this point.  They came off a 73 Mach 1 and I don't know if they were original or a replacement done by a PO.  If you have any information about these that you can share with me I'd greatly appreciate it.  Also there are only three, is it possible to find a fourth?

Thank you!

Scott

They do look correct for 73. The caps are Mustang but the wheels also came on Maverick and Mercury vehicles. The Maverick has the same size center hole but the Mercury has a larger diameter center hole. I have a selection of them and use to decorate my garage with, lol.

If you get them before trying to remove the center caps lay them down on face and you can squirt penetrating oil into the little screw holes and let them soak. The do break off easily and if they do drill from the back side and be careful the aluminum is soft, screws are steel chrome plated I think 10-32.

Original caps have 5 screws, service caps had 3 screws. They do repo the caps and original has red background and they do make black ones as repo also but would not be correct.

They use to sell at swap meets for $10.00 each because they were taken off and wider wheels and tires installed. F-70 14 RWL Goodyear and Firestone were what came on them. The spare was a steel wheel. They are forged aluminum not just cast so are very strong. They were not polished when new just diamond high speed turned in a lathe and the slots were milled out and show cutter marks. These replaced the Magnum 500 on the option list.

The RWL Goodyears added $38.36 and the wheels were $110.92 add to the price. You could get on any model, coupe, vert, fastback or Mach 1 and even 6 cylinder.

The last set I turned down for $100 at swap meet in Charlotte last year. The lugs are long and not available new or repo unless you find NOS.

I have one of each style of wheel and hub cap on my work room roof and 4 sets of the aluminum 73 wheels.

10,106, 1973 mustangs had them as an option and with the Maverick and Mercury there are quite a few out there.

David

They do look correct for 73. The caps are Mustang but the wheels also came on Maverick and Mercury vehicles. The Maverick has the same size center hole but the Mercury has a larger diameter center hole. I have a selection of them and use to decorate my garage with, lol.

If you get them before trying to remove the center caps lay them down on face and you can squirt penetrating oil into the little screw holes and let them soak. The do break off easily and if they do drill from the back side and be careful the aluminum is soft, screws are steel chrome plated I think 10-32.

Original caps have 5 screws, service caps had 3 screws. They do repo the caps and original has red background and they do make black ones as repo also but would not be correct.

They use to sell at swap meets for $10.00 each because they were taken off and wider wheels and tires installed. F-70 14 RWL Goodyear and Firestone were what came on them. The spare was a steel wheel. They are forged aluminum not just cast so are very strong. They were not polished when new just diamond high speed turned in a lathe and the slots were milled out and show cutter marks. These replaced the Magnum 500 on the option list.

The RWL Goodyears added $38.36 and the wheels were $110.92 add to the price. You could get on any model, coupe, vert, fastback or Mach 1 and even 6 cylinder.

The last set I turned down for $100 at swap meet in Charlotte last year. The lugs are long and not available new or repo unless you find NOS.

I have one of each style of wheel and hub cap on my work room roof and 4 sets of the aluminum 73 wheels.

10,106, 1973 mustangs had them as an option and with the Maverick and Mercury there are quite a few out there.

David

Thanks David.  Did some of them come in 15"?  Seems like that may have been an option but I'm still looking...

Scott

David

Thanks David.  Did some of them come in 15"?  Seems like that may have been an option but I'm still looking...

Scott
Scott, they were optional wheels and only came in 14 x 6. The center caps in your picture are very fade as the center emblem should be red. The correct lug nuts are very hard to find. They could be ordered with an optional GR78 x 14 Radial tire

Last edited by a moderator:
For the dutchies, I got a pair of these with tires taking some of my rare and precious garage space. Original 73, with the center caps, tho not pristine.

The others two were stolen before I bought the car 30 something years ago. I also have the original lug nuts. Question is where :)

Ideal if you have same already on your car and want spares in case of, or have just a set of 2 like I did :) --> PM me

Back