To cut a steering column or not?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Convertible w/ 351 2v
I have a 1972 vert with a 351 c, 2bl, H code, factory power steering and ac. The car runs great with only 29,716 original miles, car was from AZ then spent 16 yrs in FL then recently made a new home in upstate NY. I have decided to replace the steering gear box, purchased a Borgeson power steering kit to replace the current one, I also purchased a new pitman arm as well. A few questions, it came with new hoses which are shorter then the ones I replaced last year, do I use them or the current newer ones? Second question is I have seen a lot of bad DIY videos on youtube and a fair amount of them talk about cutting the steering column about 2" or so, will i have to cut my existing one? (I'd rather not for obvious reasons). Last not but the least can some one walk thru "turning the steering wheel one full turn then turn it back half a turn, then turn it again" not sure I got the sequence right but hoping someone understand and can give some guidance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I've seen that the pre-71 cars require the column shaft to be trimmed due to the extra length of the Borgeson integral box over the Ford OE unit. If the installation instructions for a 71-73 don't mention it, then it shouldn't need to be done.

The "turn to left, then to right, count the turns and divide by two" is to center the new box.

IMO, the Borgeson is not an upgrade from the factory unit. The Saginaw P/S box in your car is one of the best ever made. Having it rebuilt, a new coupler, and a fresh set of hoses will give you many more years of service especially with the low miles you say it has on it.

I agree with Hemikiller, I have known a few early mustang people who are not very satisfied with their Borgenson set ups. Surely they have to be somewhat better than a 65-70 OEM, but not even close to our Saginaw set ups....
Thanks, Jay

I too agree with Hemikiller and Clevelandcoupe. While I've not personally used or seem the Borgeson PS box, I would stick with what it came with, a Saginaw 800. That way you know it will all fit together.
There are several rebuilders out there, but many here have had good luck with Redhead Steering. I believe you could buy an upgraded fast ratio box.
As for centering, do as Hemi says. For the coupler, the Lares 201 is about the best, but do not be put off by the two "pins" being equal diameter, they are there only as a safety back up in case the rubber discs fail and that's not likely unless it's 50+ years old. The Scott Drake coupler's pins are apparently too short to engage the plate, so a waste of money.

Back