Sealant tape for drip rail moldings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73429mach

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
1972 Mustang Mach 1 under construction
When installing the drip rail moldings to the body, I think there was a foam tape used originally but I think it would leak really bad. I seen somewhere on here where someone used a strip like butyl

I do not recommend you use the foam tape for the rails. This was a common leak area when the cars were new especially on Mach 1 over the rear side window. I got a 73 Mach 1 new and the first day I had it of course it poured rain and I had 2" of water in the rear floor. The dealer could not find the leak but I did. You can put an air line inside the car and pump all the air in you can. Put soapy water around and bubbles will show where the leaks are.

When I go back with a roof rail I use the non hardening sealer called rope caulk. You can get it a automotive paint supply 3-M makes it. You can also go to your local home supply and get a product that is same, does not harden and I have used for 40+ years.

Here are a couple pics when putting the short rails on the A post of a vert.

If you want something really robust you can use the 3-M windshield adhesive strips like you put the windshield in with but very expensive.

I use this rope calk to seal around fasteners like the quarter panel end caps, tail light honey comb panel and such. Again the 3-M windshield sealer is probably better but I think the rope calk will last as long as you do, lol.

Thanks for the advice David. I had purchased the foam tape a couple years ago but after hearing all the stories of the drip rails leaking from using the tape, I think I will use the soft cord, ribbon style sealer instead. Ryan

Got some "original" foam tape from OMS last year, but by the look of it, I will go to something like @David solution.

Also thinking of making a custom rail in same style for the rear side of the rear windows so that the water escaping the rail, doesn't end up going into the corner of the window when car is parked. Which was where most rain water came into mine.

Back