Replacement windshield and rear view mirror button

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just put in my replacement windshield in my 1971 Mach I and was preparing today to install the rear view mirror. I went and cleaned an area up near the top in the shaded area for the button to glue on. I also noticed the replacement windshield came with a button (while installing the windshield I thought the button was just taped to the windshield because it was covered with blue tape). This button is already glued on but it’s down so low?? I’ve attached pictures showing its location and the mirror temp on it. Is this where they want it mounted? Why would the windshield company attach it there?

Has anyone else seen this on their replacement window? I know I can heat up the button ( I assume a heat gun and not too hot to break or damage windshield) but how does that black thing behind the button come off? I can’t even feel or catch it with my nail, like it’s in the windshield? I don’t want to remove the button if that black thing cant be removed. Someone else had to have dealt with this before but I could find nothing in the searches.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 39A33492-9164-40DD-94C8-C93C9EE6D91C.jpeg
    39A33492-9164-40DD-94C8-C93C9EE6D91C.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • E1ED6E0C-B293-41FF-A782-61925BC3DF4A.jpeg
    E1ED6E0C-B293-41FF-A782-61925BC3DF4A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • B490E6F3-54A2-496B-8F76-264BAE7E0B4B.jpeg
    B490E6F3-54A2-496B-8F76-264BAE7E0B4B.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1
I just put in my replacement windshield in my 1971 Mach I and was preparing today to install the rear view mirror. I went and cleaned an area up near the top in the shaded area for the button to glue on. I also noticed the replacement windshield came with a button (while installing the windshield I thought the button was just taped to the windshield because it was covered with blue tape). This button is already glued on but it’s down so low?? I’ve attached pictures showing its location and the mirror temp on it. Is this where they want it mounted? Why would the windshield company attach it there?

Has anyone else seen this on their replacement window? I know I can heat up the button ( I assume a heat gun and not too hot to break or damage windshield) but how does that black thing behind the button come off? I can’t even feel or catch it with my nail, like it’s in the windshield? I don’t want to remove the button if that black thing cant be removed. Someone else had to have dealt with this before but I could find nothing in the searches.

Thanks!!!
i appreciate post. as i am currently working on locating a windshield for my 71' grande coupe. looks like i had better pay attention to button locations. funny thing is..... i also already have a nos button that i purchased on ebay. where did you purchase your windshield from ? what brand ? ppg, carlite, or other ? i have been hoping to find nos windshield. but only found one for fastback so far. i am not to sure that a heat gun will do the trick. i think that the buttons are on with a super glue. unaffected by heat. it has been a while now, i am curious as to what your solution was.

I’d have to see where I ordered it from. The button comes off easily once heated. The black spot that the button is glued onto is in the windshield so it’s not coming out. I remember going back to the website o ordered it off of and someone else posted a review with the same situation. The rear view mirror covers it from the inside and so far no one has noticed it from the outside unless I point it out.

Heat will remove the button, but that black spot is a permanent part of the windshield. It's ceramic and nothing short of a grinder will remove it. Gilbert Hale told me about a company called ECS that does custom windshield marking. I looked them up. https://ecsauto.com/collections/for...dshield-w-etching-your-date-code-correct-logo

They're not cheap, but for someone who needs one... Maybe that will help you out, or someone else finding this thread in a search later on.

Back