• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Rear axles (2 sets) - 9" Ford

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I have two pairs of rear axle (left and right) for sale, including installed bearings. The first pair came with the car and had a measured runout of about 0.015" at the flange (0.004" at the axle). The second pair I bought used from Don (OMS). Those had a runout of 0.004" when I measured a year and half ago. None of these axles exhibited perceptible vibrations at highway speeds of 80+ MPH.

This is a thread I started discussing the axles: https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-axle-flange-bent.

Edit:The axles are 28 splines

Cost: $50 per axle pair (reduced) + shipping. Each axle has bearings pressed that were used no more than 1,000 miles. I think I still have the outer flanges as well, which I will include. Edit: the bearing flanges are not mounted though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I read that correct you pressed new bearings on but did not put the flange on? Humm that is not good, lol.
The disc brake kit has "open" flanges that you can install after the fact. If you needed the OEM flanges installed then yes, the bearings will have to be removed.

Look at the flanges in this picture. They are open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I read that correct you pressed new bearings on but did not put the flange on? Humm that is not good, lol.
The disc brake kit has "open" flanges that you can install after the fact. If you needed the OEM flanges installed then yes, the bearings will have to be removed.

Look at the flanges in this picture. They are open.

I see said the blind man.

On the run out on the face of the flange. If you have access to a lathe it is easy to skim cut the face to true them up. When running autocross I took out curbs a couple times and had to pull axle and face them off. Just press the studs out and run the axle between centers and indicate it in perfect. I use the factory centers in the axle and used a drive dog to rotate them. The do bend pretty easily.

Back