New Suspension needed!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seancrowne

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang conv. 351c
Hey everyone, I just moved my 1973 mustang conv. 351 cleavland over to hawaii, big island, for those of us (myself included that don't know the roads here are rough! thats an understatement! I love my car i have been fixing her up daily restoration and upkeep, and feel awful every pothole i hit every bump rock tree trunk out here in the wild west, and i want to beef up my suspension. i'm nt going off roading, (but the roads here arnt that difrnt) but for now where can i start i am looking at changing my brakes over to rear disks, and pipe dream..eventualy going with an indepndent rear axel, bu for now as far as leaf springs and shock absorbers, strut rods, front suspension, what can i do to save my car! to make the ride smoother, and better for the dirt roads and bumps...are there any kits? shock suggestions? i am thinking of raising it 3 inches all around, if itll help have bottumed out(at low speeds and cry everytime)thanks so much in advance guys any all suggestions welcome!

Sean:cool:

I think that it wouldn't be to hard to raise the ride height. Mustang Parts Vendors like our site supporter Ohio Mustang should have parts to do it. Laurel Mountain Mustang has entire kits for suspension.

wilwood has rear disc set-ups for everything. Cant help you on raising the car up though, most people want it lower lol. KYB shocks would help alot though, I have them on my car.
thanks alot! i have actualy been looking at the kyb's i may just go and pick em up tomorrow napa has a speciel right now on them i just dont know which ones to go with, that will help smooth out my ride, i took off the traction bars to help that as well, im now trying to figure out what i can do with leaf springs as well ,don't know much about suspension, believe me i don't really wan't to raise the car up im in the boat of everyone else lowering it and working on handlingmore of a track car, not offroading haha but when in rome, if the worst thing i have to worry about is the smoothness of my ride in hawaii ....

any other ideas as far as sway bars coil over kits?whatever helps. thanks alot guys.

Sounds good! Keep us posted and don't forget the pics! :D

Hi Sean -

Welcome to the club! I lived on Molokai for several years in the 90's, so I know what you're talking about with the suspension vs. Hawaiian roads issue. :s

I've heard that the KYB gas adjustable shocks work well in gravel/bumpy road conditions, so you may want to take a look at those, as others have suggested. I've heard of guys using the coil over for track applications, but not for off-road ride improvement. Others here may have other ideas.

Good luck, and let us know how things go.

Doc

Back