First time set down on new suspension

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 351c 4V Auto, TCP/Aldan suspension, bright blue metallic
So I finally finished my suspension. Front is full TCP adjustable upper and lower control arms (upper has offset pivot shaft), adjustable strut rods, spindles, bump steer kit, and their sway bar. Shocks are Aldan coilovers with 550 lb springs set with about a 1" drop. Rear uses a 155 lb mid-eye leaf, Aldan shocks and Addco sway bar. Tires are 245/45/17 front and 255/45/17 rear. I know I need to take some camber out, remove the toe out and reduce the sway bar endlink height, but I'm wondering about the front ride height. I like the stance but it seems pretty low. It's 23 1/4" from the road to the bottom of the front fender. Thoughts on the height?

Attachments

• Suspension 1.jpeg
    Suspension 1.jpeg
    542.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Suspension 2.jpeg
    Suspension 2.jpeg
    585.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Suspension 3.jpeg
    Suspension 3.jpeg
    620.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Suspension 4.jpeg
    Suspension 4.jpeg
    611.5 KB · Views: 0
Nice combo. Do you have headers? Your stance looks similar to mine at the front, maybe a bit lower. The rear in yours look a little higher. I this pic I am running my street trim with 255/45/18 front and 285/40/18 rear. Your front tires end up about 1/2" lower than mine. In my race trim I use 255/35R18 on front so it is 1" lower. In race trim my headers are way too low and I hit them in speed bumps if not careful. That said if you have headers it may be too low. I think a rule of thumb is for the lower part of your car to be about 5" off the ground. I think I am at 4+ with my street trim but too low at about 3" with my race trim.
20220616_185055.jpg

No headers yet. Still thinking through my engine direction. Thanks for some of your details. I will add a little more height to the front. I should be able to bring it up to just under 24” on my tires. I’ll check for your 5” guideline. Thanks!

Rob

I recently went through the same process. At its lowest point (similar height to yours) it handled beautifully, very responsive and tracked great. However it really wasn’t practical as a driver. So I lifted it a bit, and while still lower in the front it doesn’t rub anywhere, and still handles very well.
Largely a personal preference

Raised the front to 24 1/4” which still gives a nice stance, but more practical. Also adjusted the camber and toe. Off to a good performance alignment shop this week for final tweaks and adjust for bump steer.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_4436.jpeg
    IMG_4436.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4435.jpeg
    IMG_4435.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
Raised the front to 24 1/4” which still gives a nice stance, but more practical. Also adjusted the camber and toe. Off to a good performance alignment shop this week for final tweaks and adjust for bump steer.

Rob
I just measure mine with my "race" tires and it is 24 3/8" to the fender, which is a bit too low for the street and headers. However, handling is awesome.

Back