Weekly Fun Question - Test Your 71-73 Mustang Knowledge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
Good Day All!

I decided to go back to the "body" for this week's "Fun" question.

To recap, if you believe you know the answer to the question, please send a PM to me and Rocketfoot with your response. The first PM we receive with the correct response will gain the originating member a nice #1 Icon.

The question for this week is:

Can you identify three other cars that share the same lower door hinges as the '71 - '73 Mustangs?

Good Luck!

BT

We have received five (5) responses but so far have not received the correct one. To recap the question for this week is:

Can you identify three other cars that share the same lower door hinge as the 71 - 73 Mustangs?

The correct response should identify the cars (to include the year{s} of production) that utilizes the same lower door hinge as our 1971 - 1973 Mustangs. I will leave this question up for another day or so. If you believe you know the correct response, please forward it to me and Rocketfoot via PM.

Good Luck!

BT

I don't know what the answer is but I am very interested. I need some new hinges and I might be able to pick these other ones up for cheaper haha.

Good Day All!

Rather than prolong the "agony", I have decided to provide the acceptable correct responses to thus week's "Fun" question. To recap the question is:

Can you identify three other cars that share the same lower door hinge as the 71 - 73 Mustangs?

Acceptable response would have been any three of the following:

1975 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat

1971 - 1973 Mercury Cougar

1970 Ford Fairlane

1970 - 1971 Mercury Montego

1971 Ford Torino

1971 - 1980 Ford Pinto

We received eight (8) responses to the question with most of them citing "makes" but not the specific years - - hence, those responses were not deemed correct. For the record, TNFASTBK and HEMIKILLER came closest in their responses.

It should be noted that the upper hinges are different from the lower hinge but the following vehicles share the same upper hinge as the 71 - 73 Mustangs:

70 Fairlane

71 Torino

70 - 71 Montego

71 - 73 Cougar

71 - 74 Pinto

Source: Hollander Interchange Manual (44th and 52nd Versions)

BT

I have received convincing information from HEMIKILLER that the Hollander may be in error as it pertains to the '73 Cougar.

It is noted that the Cougar body style remained consistent from 71 - 73 and that the Mercury MPC cites the SAME part number for the lower hinges for all three (1971 - 1973) years.

With that in mind, I will amend the above post to add the '73 Cougar.

THANKS, Dennis for your observations - - it may very well assist someone who is looking for additional options.

BT

Good to know info!

Even though I was way off with my guess with the Maverick and Comet, it didn't even occur to me that you wanted specific year models. So noted for future 'guesses.'

You're a tough quiz-master, BT - but in the 'good tough' way. :D

Yes, I am trying to ensure the membership appreciate the specific options they may have when trying to restore or modify our treasured 71 - 73 Mustangs. While there are many times where the parts from other models are interchangeable with the 71 - 73 Mustangs, it often comes down to specific years.

Again, the questions are designed primarily for entertainment AND to enhance our individual knowledge.

I will be starting another thread "pretty soon" for a SPECIAL question whereby a more tangible "reward" will be at stake.

Stay tuned!!

BT

Yes, I am trying to ensure the membership appreciate the specific options they may have when trying to restore or modify our treasured 71 - 73 Mustangs. While there are many times where the parts from other models are interchangeable with the 71 - 73 Mustangs, it often comes down to specific years.

Again, the questions are designed primarily for entertainment AND to enhance our individual knowledge.

I will be starting another thread "pretty soon" for a SPECIAL question whereby a more tangible "reward" will be at stake.

Stay tuned!!

BT

HMMMMM :dodgy:

Back