Rear pinion and yoke housing color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksschraml

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 351 2v
68 Firebird 455 4bbl
Just finished rebuilding my rear end and was wondering what color red they used in 1973 on the yoke and pinion housing was it just red oxide?

The yoke and shield is natural (use VHT satin clear), the pinion bearing retainer, as well as the carrier housing, is red oxide. Chuck

IMG_4254.JPG

after1.jpgafter.jpgbefore.jpgjust thought I would post some pics of the work, don't laugh at me too hard chuck I know its not "correct" but all I wanna do for now. Pinion and shield were rusty so I just painted them, ordered new nuts and bolts today along with brake lines.. but here she is for now....

just thought I would post some pics of the work, don't laugh at me too hard chuck I know its not "correct" but all I wanna do for now. Pinion and shield were rusty so I just painted them, ordered new nuts and bolts today along with brake lines.. but here she is for now....
It looks very presentable to me. Much better than 35 years of dirt, grime, rust, and grease. AND it is your car, do what works for you. Chuck

just thought I would post some pics of the work, don't laugh at me too hard chuck I know its not "correct" but all I wanna do for now. Pinion and shield were rusty so I just painted them, ordered new nuts and bolts today along with brake lines.. but here she is for now....
It looks very presentable to me. Much better than 35 years of dirt, grime, rust, and grease. AND it is your car, do what works for you. Chuck
Man you 2 do some great detail work!

The yoke and shield is natural (use VHT satin clear), the pinion bearing retainer, as well as the carrier housing, is red oxide. Chuck
Chuck did you use the VHT red oxide primer then the clear?
I just used Dupli-Color red oxide with no VHT Satin Clear. But, the VHT red oxide is superior to the Dupli-Color IF the surface is perfectly clean. The VHT Satin Clear over the red oxide after it dries would be a good idea. It seals and is more resistant to oil and grease. Just my opinion. Chuck

powder coated mine
Man that thing is beautiful too. Just doubt I could talk Mel into letting me throw it in the oven! :p Aren't you about ready to send that thing East to the flatlands?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back