72 R code being resto moded.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philt

Reaction score
My Car
1972 R code Mach1. Being resto moded.
The car was in pretty good shape when I bought it:

But every panel that had 1 pin hole was replaced. Making the car TOTALLY STEEL (NO BONDO) and TOTALLY RUST FREE.

14k8s3b.jpg

These pics are before I tore the thing totally down, put on the rotisserie and went ground up with all new sheetmetal that needed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why buy such a rare car and restomod it?

Its all about what you want. Me being of younger generation I prefer to restomod/customize. I also see a trend of older generation folk wanting more creature comforts of today's technology. For me i love how far today's automotive technology has come but there's nothing body style lines wise that I like. At some point we realize we only live once and if you have a vision/dream and set a goal I say go for it. Even if its a 70 gt500.

At heart we are all car enthusiast and respect what individuals want out of life and their cars. Maybe someone wants to restore a Yugo..why?? Because he can!

These cars wont last indefinitely so lets enjoy them while they are around for us to enjoy.

Why buy such a rare car and restomod it?
I agree with mweeps unless your giving me the parts...LOL...Hey mweeps welcome to the forum from Arkansas, you should go to the introductions and let everyone say hi and welcome you properly

I have a wrecked 73 you can use for a restomod project!

LOL! I have all the originals I can handle. I dont like praying everytime I take one to a car show. I want a reliable ride that is old enough to enter into a classic car show but know Ill get home.

I have a 63 split window vette, all original and a 60 vette all original. Im afraid to drive them much more than an hour away from the house.

I am taking offers on the drive train though. I have a $12,000 offer from everything other than the rear. Includes all accessories, tranny, HO engine, all complete. Hurts shifter, etc. If you really want it, its yours for $12,001. ;)

LOL! I have all the originals I can handle. I dont like praying everytime I take one to a car show. I want a reliable ride that is old enough to enter into a classic car show but know Ill get home.

I have a 63 split window vette, all original and a 60 vette all original. Im afraid to drive them much more than an hour away from the house.

I am taking offers on the drive train though. I have a $12,000 offer from everything other than the rear. Includes all accessories, tranny, HO engine, all complete. Hurts shifter, etc. If you really want it, its yours for $12,001. ;)

I do know where an R code is without the engine and tranny...

Its all about what you want. Me being of younger generation I prefer to restomod/customize. I also see a trend of older generation folk wanting more creature comforts of today's technology. For me i love how far today's automotive technology has come but there's nothing body style lines wise that I like. At some point we realize we only live once and if you have a vision/dream and set a goal I say go for it. Even if its a 70 gt500.

At heart we are all car enthusiast and respect what individuals want out of life and their cars. Maybe someone wants to restore a Yugo..why?? Because he can!

These cars wont last indefinitely so lets enjoy them while they are around for us to enjoy.
+1:goodpost:

You know, I honestly couldn't tell the difference between a lowly 'H-code,' 'C-code,' 'F-code,' 'J-code,' 'M-code,' 'Q-code,' and 'R-code' (Boss 351 non-withstanding) if they were parked next to each other in a line-up of '71 or '72 Mach 1s. (Aside from the three numbers preceding 'Ram Air' on the hood, that is - but even then, not all-inclusive).

Is maintaining the integrity of a couple digits in the VIN plate and/or door sticker really THAT important? Important enough to impart tens of thousands of dollars into the effort? If mine was an 'R-code' and not just a run-of-the-mill 'H-code,' I don't think I would've change my plans of what I'm doing either. It still would've needed a front-clip transplant, new floor & trunk sheet metal, and the engine would've been seized just the same.

I think its importaint now days."my option"..It use to not be....But now people want to know....I even see people douting a cars originality cause of data missing.....We can pick out cars thats been mocked up...faked or worse.....Maintaining the intergrity is that importaint to some people...collectors and purest.....As importaint to some people as there own personal intergrity..lol... I kept all of my original parts...Cause some day when im a older..I mite wanna turn her back into what she was when i first got her...Or give some one the option to do so when i pass on....Or if i got a family tragedy "god forbid" Ill get a bit more cause i got alot of matching parts.

"small scale" Its kinda like a old star wars toy tie fighter....Do you want one you painted up and modified your self...Or do you want one original in the 1978 box with paper work and original stickers.?...or you want to fix up a old one..Buy the box...and paper work...to put with your used toy?. It all counts on what you want...Or what you can do or afford...Or what you plan to do with it....If you plan to die with it....I guess it doesnt matter too much....In the long run..how original you can keep it.."if it matters" Will usualy be wanted and desired more....My feelings on it....it can matter...But all counts on the person...Your wallet size...The car...and on and on.

I have been working on a 54 mercedes 300 for a guy off and on as he has the money. The only thing left mercedes is the body. It has mustang rack&pinion, 400 SBC, 700r4 trans, corvette rear, and numerous other mods. Some would think this a sin but you only live once so live like you want and enjoy.Picture 113.jpgPicture 036.jpgPicture 034.jpg

All I can do is shake my head.:huh:
or get your wallet out and take it off his hands:idea:
I would send him both of my 71 and 72 H code Mach 1s and all the parts I have been collecting over the years. We could talk cash to. Sound like he has a awesome vision and is well on his way with it. I would say it's to late for any cash and trade.

All I can do is shake my head.:huh:
I would send him both of my 71 and 72 H code Mach 1s and all the parts I have been collecting over the years. We could talk cash to. Sound like he has a awesome vision and is well on his way with it. I would say it's to late for any cash and trade.
Scott,

I offered up the entire drive train for $12K and no bites. I had one guy saying he was interested but when it came to pulling the money out.. He went away... Its easy for people to shake their head... Hard to put their money where their mouth is. There was one guy that said he had an R code body without the drive train... OK... show me the money.

Frustrating when people have opinions but no coin.

regardless, Its going forward. The new thread will be called KigerStang. No more mentioning the "R" code and that thread will be a read only for those wanting to learn how to resto their 71-73..

Scott,

I offered up the entire drive train for $12K and no bites. I had one guy saying he was interested but when it came to pulling the money out.. He went away... Its easy for people to shake their head... Hard to put their money where their mouth is. There was one guy that said he had an R code body without the drive train... OK... show me the money.

regardless, Its going forward. The new thread will be called KigerStang. No more mentioning the "R" code and that thread will be a read only for those wanting to learn how to resto their 71-73..
? Not me (Scott qcode351mach) But anyway the only way your gonna get close to 12K for the drive train is to put it in Hemmings..that's the proper audience for a shot at 12k

Scott,

? Not me (Scott qcode351mach) But anyway the only way your gonna get close to 12K for the drive train is to put it in Hemmings..that's the proper audience for a shot at 12k
Thanks, But Ill just keep it for a rainy day. It wont get less valuable with time. I took my wife to a local car show last weekend and she is on board with the Coyote purchase so 1/2 the battle is now over! :)

That was actually harder than building the car for me! :p

Back