‘73 Mach 1 in search of a 351 Cleveland and factory transmission replacement.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI6Agent007

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mach 1
Hi ya’ll,

My uncle original owner of a 1973 Mach 1; gave me his Mach 1; unfortunately, squatters stole the factory 351 Cleveland engine and factory transmission, so now I don’t know what to do. Initially I wanted to keep it all original since it was all original, but now I’m at a loss since motor and trans are gone. What can I do for replacement motor and transmission? I doubt I can find another 351 Cleveland and factory trans, what would be the tactical approach to solve this issue? Cost wise, what am I looking at? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Too bad you are so far away. I have a few 351C-4V motors and 2-C6 trans from Mustangs for sale in Southern MD...
Check your "Vin Code" to see what motor/trans it originally came with and decide if you want to keep that drivetrain or go with something else...

There's a lot of little parts involved. Getting a transmission that'll fit in the car is easy. Getting one with all the correct linkages and lines and crossmember is harder.

If you want to keep it close to original, best bet is to find a clapped out parts car with everything you need. Otherwise you're going to be looking at reproduction cooler lines and cobbling together something to make the linkages work.

This is speaking from experience. My Mach1 I got as a shell sitting out in a field. I dropped in a C4 transmission with an aftermarket shifter and universal cables for shifter and kickdown. Its not original, but it works.

Similar story with the smaller parts that connect to the engine. There are a lot of 351 cleveland motors. There are far less motor mounts and exhaust manifolds to put a 351C into a 1973 mustang. If you find yourself needing those smaller parts, they can be a bit of a challenge. It may be cheaper and easier to go with a windsor motor (302/351W).

Too bad you are so far away. I have a few 351C-4V motors and 2-C6 trans from Mustangs for sale in Southern MD...
Check your "Vin Code" to see what motor/trans it originally came with and decide if you want to keep that drivetrain or go with something else...
Darn, so close yet so far away, literally, from CA to MD. Thank you for the insight. Once I look up the VIN Code, how can I tell the motor/trans from that? Sorry for asking so many questions, this is all new to me, and I don’t know where to start. Just out of curiosity, what are you asking for the 351 C-4V motor and C-6 trans? (At least to have a reference point on what to expect and save up for, you know what I mean?) Thank you for all your help.

There's a lot of little parts involved. Getting a transmission that'll fit in the car is easy. Getting one with all the correct linkages and lines and crossmember is harder.

If you want to keep it close to original, best bet is to find a clapped out parts car with everything you need. Otherwise you're going to be looking at reproduction cooler lines and cobbling together something to make the linkages work.

This is speaking from experience. My Mach1 I got as a shell sitting out in a field. I dropped in a C4 transmission with an aftermarket shifter and universal cables for shifter and kickdown. Its not original, but it works.

Similar story with the smaller parts that connect to the engine. There are a lot of 351 cleveland motors. There are far less motor mounts and exhaust manifolds to put a 351C into a 1973 mustang. If you find yourself needing those smaller parts, they can be a bit of a challenge. It may be cheaper and easier to go with a windsor motor (302/351W).
Thank you for the insight, I appreciate that. Where can I find a 351 Cleveland motor? Motor mounts? And Headers? What are the Pros/Cons of a 351-C vs. 351-W? Or even a 302 for that matter? Wouldn’t the best thing to do is put the type of motor it had back j to it? I’m new to all this and I don’t have the experience or knowledge to go off in doing this, so I truly appreciate everyone’s help.

The 5th letter in your vin denotes engine. If it had a 351C it should be either a H or Q. You can order a "Marti Report" or use the link below to decode your driver door data sticker...

https://classicponycars.com/73data.html
https://www.martiauto.com/martireports.cfm

Depending on what you want to buy will determine my engine prices and there are too many options to list here. I suggest figuring out what it had and what direction you want to go, first. Then research current costs at as many places as possible to achieve the desired goal.

My 2 small block C6 trans sell for $500 each, complete and out of a 72 - 73 Mustang. Both removed from a driving car, but in storage for 20+ years and should probably be rebuilt...

Last edited:
Thank you for the insight, I appreciate that. Where can I find a 351 Cleveland motor? Motor mounts? And Headers? What are the Pros/Cons of a 351-C vs. 351-W? Or even a 302 for that matter? Wouldn’t the best thing to do is put the type of motor it had back j to it? I’m new to all this and I don’t have the experience or knowledge to go off in doing this, so I truly appreciate everyone’s help.
Motor mounts for a 351C and a 73 mustang are like hen's teeth. There are no reproduction ones. Original ones are few and far between. You can easily get motor mounts for a 302 in our cars, and those also work for a 351W.

Between a 302, 351W, and 351C, they can all be built from mild to wild. From a driver's standpoint, it really doesn't matter which one you go with. They can all be made to way more performance than you need. The reasons to pick one over the others would come down to cost, amount of effort, and how it makes you feel knowing a particular motor is under the hood. 351C are out there for sale. They were only used in the USA in production cars for like 4 years. The 302 and 351W were produced for decades. So as far as just getting a motor and getting it running, the 351C will be a bit harder. You can't sling a dead cat without hitting a 302/351W for sale.

As far as putting any of them in your car, we haven't seen exactly what parts were stolen along with the motor. The amount of effort and money could swing towards the cleveland or the windsor depending on what all you have left in your car.

I have a Complete 1973 351C 4V w/4 speed/ Crank Pulley to tailshaft. Air cleaner to pan. It has the Large pulley alt (D1..A1A) on it 55 amp. Ex manifolds , heat shield. etc. Reported to have 66K wrecked in the 70's in Jersey. Bought it many many moons ago. Can send pics.Eng and trans $4500k. I also have a NOS 1974 351C 4V engine. Carb to pan. It is setup for manual trans. Carb is a D4OP carb on it. $7K Shipping end/trans from 80011 lower 48 going east from Colorado maybe $500 - $600. Probably less? I do have a few CJ C6 trans w/ all linkage Lockout, shift rod, 10" converter, etc. C6 $500. Bill 3 zero 3 3 eight 6 6 two two 8

Motor mounts for a 351C and a 73 mustang are like hen's teeth. There are no reproduction ones. Original ones are few and far between. You can easily get motor mounts for a 302 in our cars, and those also work for a 351W.

Between a 302, 351W, and 351C, they can all be built from mild to wild. From a driver's standpoint, it really doesn't matter which one you go with. They can all be made to way more performance than you need. The reasons to pick one over the others would come down to cost, amount of effort, and how it makes you feel knowing a particular motor is under the hood. 351C are out there for sale. They were only used in the USA in production cars for like 4 years. The 302 and 351W were produced for decades. So as far as just getting a motor and getting it running, the 351C will be a bit harder. You can't sling a dead cat without hitting a 302/351W for sale.

As far as putting any of them in your car, we haven't seen exactly what parts were stolen along with the motor. The amount of effort and money could swing towards the cleveland or the windsor depending on what all you have left in your car.
I think I have a pair of insulators aka mounts..used.

Hi ya’ll,

My uncle original owner of a 1973 Mach 1; gave me his Mach 1; unfortunately, squatters stole the factory 351 Cleveland engine and factory transmission, so now I don’t know what to do. Initially I wanted to keep it all original since it was all original, but now I’m at a loss since motor and trans are gone. What can I do for replacement motor and transmission? I doubt I can find another 351 Cleveland and factory trans, what would be the tactical approach to solve this issue? Cost wise, what am I looking at? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hi. I have a newly built 351C for $12,000 US on Vancouver Island, BC. Can throw in a C4 trans no charge.
Hi ya’ll,

Thanks,

I see on Facebook Marketplace several 351C short blocks in the greater LA area. You might have to buy a rebuildable shortblock from one person and heads from another. Another idea; contact local rebuilders to see if they have anything. Just ideas for local supplies.

You might consider using 71-72 frame mounts. Fastback frame mounts are the same for the 302, 351W and 351C. Stock motor mounts are available from multiple sources. If you are using stock 2v exhaust manifolds, the Prothane captive mounts are an option.

Latest posts

Back