1969 Mach I or Fast Back

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
Well Folks, I might be taking another plunge.

As some of you may recall, I have a 428CJ motor along with a wide ratio Top Loader in "Fire" (my '73 Mach I). I also have a cast iron tail shaft C6 sitting on the bench. I am putting together a 545 and C6 to replace this combination and pulling the 428CJ. The plan is to try and find a '69 or '70 mustang as its (428CJ and cast iron C6) new home.

Well, I was visiting "Ice" (my '73 Grande) at the Paint Shop last week and the owner noted that he had a '69 Mach I that is nearly complete for sale. It is only missing the drivers seat - - everything else is there except engine and transmission. It has a 9" with Trac Loc, body is straight (in primer), all glass is good. He told me it is a Mach I but the VIN shows "02" which is a fastback. He is adamant that it is a Mach I and claims the '69 VINs all had "02" for fastbacks, even if the car is a Mach I. That is at odds with my reference material.

Anyway, I have ordered the MARTI report and dependent upon what it says, he and I should be agreeing on a price.

So, it looks like another "pony" will be joining the corral pretty soon:)!

BT

Sounds like a great project! Congratulations!

Pretty sure he is correct about no Mach 1 designation in the vin for 69.

I think it was on the door tag though, Marti book shows...

63A fastback standard buckets

63B fastback decor buckets

63C fastback mach 1

Good luck

Don

THANKS, Guys!

Don, that is good to know as the guy I am speaking with has never led me astray and he is HEAVY into mustang restorations.

The door tag was missing so I ordered that along with the Marti report.

Thanks again.

BT

Back