1971 351C-2V Piston type

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, those are at least 10 cc guaranteed.
so, when I get feed back from another member as to what heads I actually have, I will have a good idea of my compression ratio?

post a photo of your combustion chamber.

your heads were made may 13 & 19 of 1971

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, those are at least 10 cc guaranteed.
so, when I get feed back from another member as to what heads I actually have, I will have a good idea of my compression ratio?

post a photo of your combustion chamber.

your heads were made may 13 & 19 of 1971

Combustion chamber photo

The chambers in those heads ranged from 77 to 80cc's. Give us a measurement from top of piston (the highest planar surface...I think it's the ring around the OD) to deck of block and we can give you a good estimate of CR.

The chambers in those heads ranged from 77 to 80cc's. Give us a measurement from top of piston (the highest planar surface...I think it's the ring around the OD) to deck of block and we can give you a good estimate of CR.
Sorry, I don't have a depth gauge, or any way to make an accurate measurement.

rotate the engine until the damper and number 1 piston are at tdc

lay a straight edge like a level across the cylinder

use a set of feeler gauges to check the clearance between the edge of the piston and the straight edge

as you face the front of the engine, rotate the crank clockwise to 2 degrees after tdc and measure again . post results.

if you dont have a straight edge or feeler gauge you can take photos of the piston at tdc from an angle and post them.

rotate the engine until the damper and number 1 piston are at tdc

lay a straight edge like a level across the cylinder

use a set of feeler gauges to check the clearance between the edge of the piston and the straight edge

as you face the front of the engine, rotate the crank clockwise to 2 degrees after tdc and measure again . post results.

if you dont have a straight edge or feeler gauge you can take photos of the piston at tdc from an angle and post them.
This just keeps getting better. lol. I brought the #1 cylinder up to tdc and measured between the outside of the piston and the cylinder head. If I measured correctly, I came up with .076

It was when I was rotating the engine I realized there isn't a timing mark arrow. :shootself:

I guess I'll have to locate and purchase one now.

post a photo of the way you are measuring.

post a photo of the piston at tdc from the side so we can see the distance.

Latest posts

Back