1971 429cj vacuum adjustable advance part?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David, here are some more numbers for you to check. These would apply to mwilson7's car. I found an error in the 65-72 MPC where it does not show a listing for the 71 429 CJ AT Mustang. I checked a earlier version of the MPC and the AMA listing and they both indicate the  D1AF-NA as the correct distributor. The original advance is C8AZ-12370-A (Motorcraft DD-236) replaced by D1AZ-12370-B (Motorcraft DD-628) replaced by D2PZ-12370-F (Motorcraft DD-259-A) These are all dual port advances and the DD-259-A should be the easiest to get since it was a service part from the mid 70's forward.

Anderslober,

I have a '71 Mach 1 with the 351c, I am not running the advance/retard unit as it originally was equipped with, rather, changed it out for a Non-California Ford distributor which has a single advance used in pre-smog cars. I believe the distributors used in both 351c's and 429/460 engines utilize the same fitting distributor. If you are not opposed to aftermarket parts, Standard Ignition offers a single diaphragm vacuum advance which comes with adjustment instructions to adjust to various Ford distributor numbers, and can be ordered under part number VC-31. Borg-Warner sells the same vacuum advance as part number VC-311, adjustable as well. Over the years I have used both.

The Thermostatic Vacuum Switch with the three nipples is part of the smog package. It's purpose is to withhold vacuum from the distributor vacuum advance until the engine warms up and coolant temp reaches operating temp, when the switch will allow the vacuum to operate the distributor vacuum advance as normal. In this way, cold engines will warm up faster having slightly retarded timing . My shop manual shows where each vac hose goes from the factory. I also have left the switch in place, however I just run a ported vacuum hose from the base of the carb to the single advance distributor. Everything works just fine .

David.....any news? I am about to burst!

No matter what, I will take a unit for 71 429cj/4sp/ram air.

A few photos would be awesome......

Lemme’ know.....
Ok made it into town to pick up my heads and the parts place is next door so I got one of the vacuum advances. It is probably wrong it has both and end vacuum port and one on the side. i can see the adjusting screw down inside the end. It is made in U.S.A. by KEM there is two numbers on the box that I will also try to track down on the net. VC17 and VC7412A. I have attached a couple pictures for reference. Can you get me pictures of yours and your distributor number also?

It was $29.11 USD.

Thanks,

David

Back