1971-73 Convertibles-Opinions Wanted

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
I dont know much about 1971-73 convertibles,What is more desirable regarding options, drivetrain. How do they handle? Are they a good investment..easy to re sell?

To the ones that have owned or actually own....how do you like their style and ride quality? Pros and cons?

Any feedback is welcome

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it! Some love convertibles some hate convertibles. From a ride and handling perspective it is the best "old car" I have ever driven. From a rare options and resale standpoint... I don't have a clue. :D The styling along with the ride and handling coupled with the fact you sit in the car and do not feel like you're hanging out of the car was enough to win me over.

BTW this my first ragtop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i've had a few early Mustangs and like others before me have stated this is the best handling of the 1st gen cars. i also find its the most comfortable riding car. AS to being able to tell you whats best for resale......sorry I can't help you on that my car has a 302 3spd but its fun!

I've liked all 71-73s for a long time but I've always liked convertibles. As droptop said "some people love them, some don't like them". I looked for a long time for a 351 CJ 4 speed convertible but started really intently about 5 years ago. The 351 and toploader was the big ticket to me and it helps that good options go with that combo, for example, competition suspension. I passed on a few 4 speed cars but finally bought the one I own now because it was well optioned on the outside too: it was a factory decor group and side stripe car. I could tell what the car was going to be when finished and I liked it. I think that is the most important. Buy what you like and enjoy it, If no-one else wants to pay you loads of cash for it, you're still happy working on it and driving it.

IMG_1596.JPG

No idea on resell, I never would! But I do get people offering to buy it. ;)

My 73 drives pretty nice. It's a 40 year old car so you have to keep that in mind. If you pick up a convertible and it doesn't yet have sub-frame connectors I suggest getting some installed. It really helps stiffen up the body.

AC is a desired option but kind of worthless... I drive mine top down pretty much 100% of the time and when I had the AC installed and working it did fine until I started moving. These cars just don't seal up that well and the air movement pushed most of the cooled air out of the cabin.

Most options can be added. Make it your own!

They are the best looking and best driveing of all the Mustang verts hands down! When you think of a vert,you are thinking of top down cruising and the deluxe interire in the 71-73 are hands down the best looking, in my opinion.

I love it! Some love convertibles some hate convertibles. From a ride and handling perspective it is the best "old car" I have ever driven. From a rare options and resale standpoint... I don't have a clue. :D The styling along with the ride and handling coupled with the fact you sit in the car and do not feel like you're hanging out of the car was enough to win me over.

BTW this my first ragtop.
The 351 Ram Air edition which looks like yours droptop, was the finest coolest car evah...in fact I tried to buy one in Ft.Worth but could never make a connection guy worked overseas and abandoned it...shop owner died...the son turned into a jerk and unless I wanted to over pay...he wouldnt deal. Then the car sat and ruined.

I've owned my 73 convertible since 1974 and it has always been an attention getter. I think it handles and rides pretty well, but not like modern Mustangs. As far as value I think they are a good investment and should maintain their value, depending on the economy. As far as the value of a classic convertible, as they say on the auction sites, "If the top goes down the price goes up".

When most hear "desirable", they usually think "rarity."

With that in mind, the '71 Convertibles were the least number made for the period with 6,121 Units. Of those, only one (1) was a "Q" code with 4-speed transmission. There were four (4) Q Codes built with the C6.

In '72, there were 6,401 Convertibles built. Of those, thirteen (13) were "R" codes with the 4-speed. Interestingly, there were eighty-two (82) "H" codes with the 3-speed transmission.

In '73, there were 11,853 Convertibles built. Two (2) of those were "H" codes with the 4-speed transmission. There were 293 "Q" codes with the 4-speed and 675 "Q" codes with the C6.

BT

Edit: The two H Code Convertibles in '73 actually had C4 transmissions..Thanks OMS (Don) for the "eagle eye" correction.

Would you know the rarity of my 71 Convertible?

M code 351 4V

Red with Red deluxe interior

White Power Top w/Glass Backlite

C-6 Select Shift Cruise-O-Matic

3.25 Traction-Lok Differential

F60X15 Wide Oval Belted Raised White Letter Tires

Power Steering

Power Front Disc Brakes

Bumper Guards

Ram Air Option

Hood Locks

Air Conditioner - Selectaire

AM/8-Track Stereo Radio

Full Console

Décor/Accent Group

Electric Seat Releases

Appearance Protection Group

Heavy Duty Battery

Magnum 500 Chrome Wheels

Competition Suspension

Tachometer / Guages

I do not know if I should keep it or sell it.

We have a 73 vert that needs less work to be a really nice but it is just an 351 2V full optioned, power window car, with factory alum wheels. It has a non fuctional ram air hood.

The 71 has the typical 71 - 73 rust issues but it is better than most I have seen and the cowls are solid.

Hmmmm........

Thanks!

Paul

When most hear "desirable", they usually think "rarity."

With that in mind, the '71 Convertibles were the least number made for the period with 6,121 Units. Of those, only one (1) was a "Q" code with 4-speed transmission. There were four (4) Q Codes built with the C6.

In '72, there were 6,401 Convertibles built. Of those, thirteen (13) were "R" codes with the 4-speed. Interestingly, there were eighty-two (82) "H" codes with the 3-speed transmission.

In '73, there were 11,853 Convertibles built. Two (2) of those were "H" codes with the 4-speed transmission. There were 293 "Q" codes with the 4-speed and 675 "Q" codes with the C6.

BT

I have had many older cars over the years. when i went to see my 73 convertible. it was the drive and handling that made my mind up. ive drove later newer cars than my 73 and to me they dont drive any better.

just for the record, in the UK you dont see that many 71 - 73 convertibles for sale.

EVERTON FC 1878

Back