1971-73 Mach 1 vs 1969-70 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would have to be the sleek styling of the 71s-73s, they always looked fast even in the driveway.

My first car was a 69 Mach w/ 351 and I guess if I can only have one car for nostalgia reasons it would be that one

(but that being said) even back then while tearing up the roads in the 69 I dreamed of getting a 71 for me they were the coolest::thumb::

It may be only me, but I kinda like the term "Clydesdale." I know I love seeing the Budweiser Clydesdales and notice that most people find them more interesting than your basic plain ol' horse.

Too bad it won't all fit on a license plate. rofl

Last edited by a moderator:
A Clydesdale horse is unusually large and powerful, yet ponderous and slow-moving. That is certainly not an appropriate image for a sporty performance car, and asfar as horses go, is about the polar opposite of a "mustang".

"The aircraft carrier" and "the Clydesdale" are derogatory nicknames given to the car by Larry Shinoda during the early development stages of the 71 car. The car was purposely designed wider, longer and heavier to easily accommodate the then-new 385-series engines(429-460). There were even plans to eventually install a 501 cubic inch "Cobra Jet".

The car featured many GM-inspired design features at the behest of Bunkie Knudsen that made the model and indeed the entire program very unpopular with the long-timers at Ford.

Notice that in no place on the interior or exterior of the car did the stylists include the word "Ford" in any styling or nomenclature badges or decals, other than generic parts used on other car lines.

This was the stylist's subversive attempt to declare that the new Mustang was not a "real" Ford product.

The fact that the car is 6" longer and 600 lbs heavier than the 65 model is repeated all the time the show how much the car had grown.

However, it is only 1" longer and about 100 lbs heavier than a 70, yet not many ever complain about how much bigger and heavier the 69-70 models are than the 65s.

The nicknames stuck, and history now views the 71-73s as too big and heavy, and outdated. They just never achieved the popularity of the earlier cars.

That's ok with me...I usually have the only 71-73 car at a show, and that is just fine with me.
I never thought of that before, but there is no FORD emblem anywhere on our cars, who's ashamed now with the interest still strong after all this time ?

"The aircraft carrier" and "the Clydesdale" are derogatory nicknames given to the car by Larry Shinoda during the early development stages of the 71 car. The car was purposely designed wider, longer and heavier to easily accommodate the then-new 385-series engines(429-460). There were even plans to eventually install a 501 cubic inch "Cobra Jet".

The car featured many GM-inspired design features at the behest of Bunkie Knudsen that made the model and indeed the entire program very unpopular with the long-timers at Ford.

Notice that in no place on the interior or exterior of the car did the stylists include the word "Ford" in any styling or nomenclature badges or decals, other than generic parts used on other car lines.

This was the stylist's subversive attempt to declare that the new Mustang was not a "real" Ford product.

The fact that the car is 6" longer and 600 lbs heavier than the 65 model is repeated all the time the show how much the car had grown.

However, it is only 1" longer and about 100 lbs heavier than a 70, yet not many ever complain about how much bigger and heavier the 69-70 models are than the 65s.

The nicknames stuck, and history now views the 71-73s as too big and heavy, and outdated. They just never achieved the popularity of the earlier cars.

That's ok with me...I usually have the only 71-73 car at a show, and that is just fine with me.
I never thought of that before, but there is no FORD emblem anywhere on our cars, who's ashamed now with the interest still strong after all this time ?
Isn't there a Ford emblem on the door sills?

well ,yeah but not on the outside for the public to see.

The dog dish hub caps said Ford Motor Company. But IMO the car was so widely recognized i dont think there was a reason to put FORD anywhere. Actually, the pony on the grill was plenty! But last week i had a 30-something ask me if my vert was a cutlass?

A Clydesdale horse is unusually large and powerful, yet ponderous and slow-moving. That is certainly not an appropriate image for a sporty performance car, and asfar as horses go, is about the polar opposite of a "mustang".
Understood, that's the funny part.

Besides they pull Budweiser! :D

There are several "Ford" emblems used throughout the car, but all are on generic, multi car-line parts. "Ford" does not appear anywhere on any Mustang-specific part on 71-73 Mustangs.( other than casting info)

I LIKE THE LONG HOOD. I HAVE BOTH 70 AND 72
Dang it !!! Now I have to go find a yellow "70" to go with my lime green mach 1 !!!!:p

Back