1971 Fastback Trunk torsion springs source?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Hi All:
Hope someone can help me find a torsion spring for the trunk lid on my 1971 Mach 1. It does have a wing so I would love to find a pair of thicker springs but will settle for the thinner ones if that is all I can find. One of my springs just snapped overnight while the car was just sitting. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Yes, the torsion rods for the trunk with rear wing are thicker as seen in this pic. I would recommend Mike from Motorcity Mustangs or Don at Ohio Mustang Supply to check their inventory for a used pair. Also, find a "how to" on this site to install. Requires a special tool or risk ripping your fingers when a rod lets go.

1711627815179.png

Yes, the torsion rods for the trunk with rear wing are thicker as seen in this pic. I would recommend Mike from Motorcity Mustangs or Don at Ohio Mustang Supply to check their inventory for a used pair. Also, find a "how to" on this site to install. Requires a special tool or risk ripping your fingers when a rod lets go.

View attachment 87191
I have a spoiler on my deck lid. The extra weight is just a bit to much for the lid to stay open. Its set on its highest load limit. So, maybe the bigger diameter would work better if you have a spoiler? Be careful as that spring will mess you up when it comes off.
For safety I installed a lock down shaft collar on the end of the spring to stop it from sliding out of the grove. Hasnt moved yet.

I have a spoiler on my deck lid. The extra weight is just a bit to much for the lid to stay open. Its set on its highest load limit. So, maybe the bigger diameter would work better if you have a spoiler? Be careful as that spring will mess you up when it comes off.
For safety I installed a lock down shaft collar on the end of the spring to stop it from sliding out of the grove. Hasnt moved yet.
NPD sells a light weight rear spoiler that looks exactly as OEM. I think you can use thinner springs. I don’t know how expensive or readily available the thicker rods are. Just another suggestion.

I purchased the NPD spoiler. It worked out great. When I installed it, with both torsion bars, I could not get it to stay open. It had worked fine before I installed the spoiler. The torsion bars seemed to go in easy enough - not a big deal. It struck me, could they be installed incorrectly? Yup!!! I reversed them and the trunk lid pops and stays open just fine with the spoiler. So check and see if the rods might be reversed. I can make a difference.

I ditched the springs and followed Austinverts lead and fabbed up a bracket to use a gas strut.

My car is not stock so I don’t care about originality.

Attachments

• IMG_0714.jpeg
    IMG_0714.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0713.jpeg
    IMG_0713.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0711.jpeg
    IMG_0711.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0710.jpeg
    IMG_0710.jpeg