• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted 73 trunk part needed - torsion bar.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ73Me

Reaction score
Southern Maine or extremely northern Massachusetts
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible 351C
Hi,
After too long to even think about, the body shop is prepping my car to paint. They called and the car is missing one of the trunk torsion bars. I am looking for Luggage compartment TORSION BAR (44890) And/or lower Luggage compartment TORSION BAR (44891) for a 73 convertible. I haven't found any sites that sell them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Used are fine.
Thanks,

Attachments

• Passenger side.jpg
    Passenger side.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0
There is only one torsion bar for the Coupes and Convertibles. I have one if you need it, but it sounds like you have one and that is all you need.

I purchased a 2nd torsion rod for our 73 Mach 1 after I installed a wing spoiler. WCCC has them, used of course. Be forewarned, the torsion rod for a Cougar does not fit the Mustang application, despite being the same year. Go ahead, ask how I know this. I found out after the fact that the online description actually says something about that. I had overlooked it. If you had a 73 Cougar I would gladly give it to you. But, if you need one for a Mustang, WCCC is where I would begin to look. He deals a lot with Cougars, hence the reason for my warning, so you don't do like I did. heh heh...

Following is the link for the 71-73 Cougar. They do not have Mustang rods listed currently. But if you emailed or called I bet they could either score one for you or tell you where to get one.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/12810-Torsion-Bars-/-Springs-Rear-Deck-/-Trunk-Lid-PAIR-Used-1971-1973-Mercury-Cougar.html?sessionthemeid=26

I will do some digging for a part # and do a search, then share that info with a comment later in this thread.

Last edited:
I purchased a 2nd orsion rod for our 73 Mach 1 after I installed a wing spoiler. WCCC has them, used of course. Be forewarned, the torsion rod for a Cougar does not fit the Mustang application, despite being the same year. Go ahead, ask how I know this. I found out after the fact that the online description actually says something about that. I had overlooked it. If you had a 73 Cougar I would gladly give it to you. But, if you need one for a Mustang, WCCC is where I would begin to look. He deals a lot with Cougars, hence the reason for my warning, so you don't do like I did. heh heh...

Following is the link for the 71-73 Cougar. They do not have Mustang rods listed currently. But if you emailed or called I bet they could either score one for you or tell you where to get one.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/12810-Torsion-Bars-/-Springs-Rear-Deck-/-Trunk-Lid-PAIR-Used-1971-1973-Mercury-Cougar.html?sessionthemeid=26

I will do some digging for a part # and do a search, then share that info with a comment later in this thread.
I forgot to mention, when you do find a torsion rod you may want to purchase a tool to install and/or remove it. You can jury rig something easily enough, but this tool (from WCCC) works nicely:

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/trunktool2.html?sessionthemeid=26

Do you have a rear valence? I have single exhaust but I'm thinking of converting to dual exhaust. Do you have either?
I have both valences. Let me get you a picture.

I forgot to mention, when you do find a torsion rod you may want to purchase a tool to install and/or remove it. You can jury rig something easily enough, but this tool (from WCCC) works nicely:

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/trunktool2.html?sessionthemeid=26
Well, the 1965 - 1972 and 1973 - 1979 Ford Parts Catalogs were not as helpful as they normally are. Using the base part # for the Cougar Trunk Torsion Bars, I did a search in both catalogs. The 65 - 72 catalog showed Part #s only for 1971 Mustangs, nothing for 1973. The 73-79 catalog showed nothing for 1973 Mustangs (Model Code F).

What I was able to derive from the two catalogs I placed in separate pages, plus an explanation of how to use the catalog re: codes, and put in a its own much smaller PDF file (attached). The last two pages hold the info I did find.

If you do a Google search on any of the following Part #s (in the PDF file, and provided below in this comment) you will find a lot of information, and hopefully somewhere you can acquire the rod(s) needed from. As an aside, there are a few different notches in the retaining end where the rods are inserted into place. You can place the stressedend of the torsion bars into different clots to increase or reduce the torsion. You may be able to insert your current torsion bar in the slot tha provides maximum torsion, which may be enough to hold your trunk lid up, even with a spoiler installed.

Without Spoiler LH: D1ZZ-6344890-A RH: D1ZZ-6344891-A
With Spoiler LH: D1ZZ-6344890-B RH: D1ZZ-6344891-B
F("65, 76") Model LH: D1ZZ-6544890-A RH: D1ZZ-6544890-A

Attachments

• 1967-1972_TrunkLidTorsionBars_20240409.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 0
Are you open to mods?

I followed Austin verts method and added gas struts.

Attachments

• IMG_0714.jpeg
    IMG_0714.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0710.jpeg
    IMG_0710.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0711.jpeg
    IMG_0711.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0713.jpeg
    IMG_0713.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0715.jpeg
    IMG_0715.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0708.jpeg
    IMG_0708.jpeg
    484.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0709.jpeg
    IMG_0709.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 0
Do you have a rear valence? I have single exhaust but I'm thinking of converting to dual exhaust. Do you have either?

Attachments

• IMG_6974.jpg
    IMG_6974.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6975.jpg
    IMG_6975.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
Back