1971 Ford 400 valve covers same as 351C?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1000

Reaction score
My Car
1966 convertible
1971 Mach 1
1971 Cougar XR7
1967 F250 Camper Special
Got a chance to get a pair of decent valve covers. The engine is a 400 in a 1971 LTD. Are they the same bolt pattern as the 351C. I'm pretty sure they are but am not that familiar with the 400 engine.

Also would the have the drippers on the inside or did that end after 1970?

They fit, doubt they'll have drippers.

351C, 351M, 400 valve covers will interchange. The "Oil Drippers" (deflectors) were in the aluminum valve covers for the Boss 351 because of the solid lifters requiring adjustable rocker arms. All other engines ran hydraulic lifters and a oil deflector that was between the rocker arm bolt and fulcrum.

I had a pair of steel Power By Ford valve cover that came off a 70 Ford 351C. They had the drippers inside them.

I was under the impression early (70-maybe 71) 351 C steel valve covers had drippers.

351C, 351M, 400 valve covers will interchange. The "Oil Drippers" (deflectors) were in the aluminum valve covers for the Boss 351 because of the solid lifters requiring adjustable rocker arms. All other engines ran hydraulic lifters and a oil deflector that was between the rocker arm bolt and fulcrum.

I had a pair of steel Power By Ford valve cover that came off a 70 Ford 351C. They had the drippers inside them.

I was under the impression early (70-maybe 71) 351 C steel valve covers had drippers.

This is a great site for learning new things. I knew the early 69 Boss 302 came with chrome stamped steel valve covers with deflectors in the covers for the oiling of the rocker arms. Then the later models had the aluminum covers with the oil deflectors we're used to seeing on the Boss 302/351. My first Cleveland powered car was a 1970 M code Torino GT (built 6/70). It had oil deflectors on the rocker arms along with both of my 1971 M code Mach 1's. So you can see where my mindset came from.

Even though all the rocker arm hardware ( rockers, fulcrums, deflectors, bolts, etc) had DOAZ, DOOZ, (1970 Part numbers) evidently the early production models had the oil deflectors in the valve covers such as yours. :)

Back