1971 Ford Mustang MACH 1 CONVERTIBLE VERY RARE

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw and chuckled to myself about that one,too.  Rare indeed.  If memory serves, it was a dealer, which made it dumber yet for me.

Wayne

I bought my 73 about 2.5 months ago. When I was shopping there was a 73 coupe with Mach 1 stripes and NACA hood that he has priced at $9000. I told him I was interested but wasnt quite there on the cash. He told me it was priced there because it was a rare Mach1. I laughed and bought another car - way better deal as its a convertible and unmolested and I paid less than his $9k. His car is still for sale. He's also a dealer. 

That's not so rare: lots of convertible Mach 1's running around!

Good lookin' car - I'd have it... but I'm not seeing $33K worth.

Hello Galucha,

Don't discount the rarity of this vert because it's just an F code.  As mpbsr stated, it must be one of the  "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" very rare, very elusive, Frank Cone Mach 1 convertibles! 

Here's the deal on the lowly F code. Back when I was actively showing my Mach 1, I was approached by one of the always present car show experts and his admiring entourage. After I got  schooled on all that was wrong on my car,  he proceeded to tell me about the engines that were available in the 71-73's. Little did I know that all the 302's in the 71-73 Mustangs were actually Boss 302's and Ford just didn't advertise it. So....this car could actually be a Mach 1 vert with a Boss 302!! I just didn't realize how little I knew about these cars! 😄

Hello Galucha,

Don't discount the rarity of this vert because it's just an F code.  As mpbsr stated, it must be one of the  "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" very rare, very elusive, Frank Cone Mach 1 convertibles! 

Here's the deal on the lowly F code. Back when I was actively showing my Mach 1, I was approached by one of the always present car show experts and his admiring entourage. After I got  schooled on all that was wrong on my car,  he proceeded to tell me about the engines that were available in the 71-73's. Little did I know that all the 302's in the 71-73 Mustangs were actually Boss 302's and Ford just didn't advertise it. So....this car could actually be a Mach 1 vert with a Boss 302!! I just didn't realize how little I knew about these cars! 😄
I'll bet "he was that buddy who had one in high school that everybody knew," as well.  LOL!

Hello Galucha,

Yeah, I ran into the same thing looking at a 72 or 73 sportsroof back around 89. The kid (although we were probably the same age) swore it had a Boss 302 in it. When I questioned that he said they had verified it. They probably thought the same thing that all 302s were Boss 302s. If I had been thinking a little quicker I would have asked him if with the stories of the legendary Boss 302, maybe they were a little disappointed in the performance of their car? Like maybe there was something wrong with it...

Back