1971 Grande Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my excitement of tearing out the rear of the beast I forgot to get a couple measurements. I need the measurement from the trunk floor to the top of the tail light panel. I probably need a middle and two near the end to be safe. .
I measured this and come up with questionable results. The right (passenger side) I came up with 12 inches exactly. The middle area and left (driver side) I came up with 1/8 shorter.

Can someone else also measure this to help him out? I don't think my measurements will weild the correct results.
You may have a problem...The BOTTOM edge of the tailight panel should fit flush with the edge of the rear crossmember. By welding in the floor WITHOUT making sure the frame rails are set to the correct height FIRST you may not get the fit correct. A quick check is to measure from the CENTER of the rear spring front bolt to the CENTER of the rear spring shackle top bolt It should be 51-7/8" give or take an 1/8..Check that before you go any further. Best way to get this done if your rails are set ok is to fit the rear panel on...fit the deck lid on...make sure you measure from the inside edge of each quarter panel to the center screw hole for the gas neck filler (this makes sure the panel is centered) get everything lined up gaps etc then use a few sheet metal screws to hold it together. The screws let you repeat your alignment & fit after you disasemble to prep for welding etc. Maybe you got lucky but every car i have done a trunk floor on the rails have moved after the floor was cut out...Advice to anybody doing a trunk floor MAKE SURE TO LOCK THE REAR RAILS IN PLACE before cutting out the floor (simple way is to use some steel rod tacked from the rear to the front)

Scott
Great info.

Looks like alot of work! Keep going.How is your deck lid ? If you need one I have one in the top of my shop gathering dust.Very little if any rust,just surface. Good luck!

E, since you have parts you are getting rid of I will ask you the same thing I asked Qcode the other night. Do you have an aluminum radiator laying around not being used? LOL

Sorry,no radiators.

I will try to get some measurments for you.Mine still has the original trunk floor.I did have the tail light panel replaced with an NOS,so my measurements should be pretty close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I have a trunk lid that I just purchased off of ebay and it is pretty nice. I got it for $10.00, could not believe nobody bid on it.

I am going to check my frame measurements tonight. Before I welded the rear cross member I did get everything level and made sure the

frame rails were 43 inches apart. I did cut out the trunk filler panel between the trunk lid and rear window to fix the rusted out areas.

I plan to put it back in before I final weld my tail light panel in. I am going to use the trunk lid to make sure I get all my spacing correct

since I did not take measurements like I should have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night I measured the frame rail and got 51 3/4", so that should be good according to what I have been told. I clamped in the tail light panel flushing up the bottom egde with the rear crossmember edge. I took inside measurements from the top of the trunk floor to the top of the tail light panel lip and got close to

11 7/8" in the middle and at both ends. I found the center of the tail light panel and pulled measurements from identical locations from each fender well inside the trunk to the center mark on the tail light panel and hit it dead on. The only measurement I have not taken thus far is from the front of one rear frame rail to the the rear of the other. According to the frame dimension chart it should be about 66 1\4". I feel pretty good about everything being close to specification. Thanks again for all the help, still got a long ways to go. I did clean up the trunk floor and primed it last night to keep it from rusting.

I was wondering if anyone may have a drivers side A-pillar lying around that is not rusted out. I started doing some repair on

mine but have stopped for now. Thought I would reach out and see if someone on here may have one. Sometimes it is a lot easier

to replace than to repair.

WoW..great project!

I got a '71 coupe a year ago...been working on it here and there. Motor will be coming out for rebuild this summer.

I will post pics later.

Thanks, I have a trunk lid that I just purchased off of ebay and it is pretty nice. I got it for $10.00, could not believe nobody bid on it.

I am going to check my frame measurements tonight. Before I welded the rear cross member I did get everything level and made sure the

frame rails were 43 inches apart. I did cut out the trunk filler panel between the trunk lid and rear window to fix the rusted out areas.

I plan to put it back in before I final weld my tail light panel in. I am going to use the trunk lid to make sure I get all my spacing correct

since I did not take measurements like I should have.
I have a clean rear deck filler panel, if you haven't patched yours yet

Don

I purchased a used T5 last weekend for $50.00. I have completely disassembled it and ready to start the rebuild. I am glad I got it so cheap because it

has at least one gear that needs replaced and the counter shaft will need replaced also. I still think I can rebuild for less than $500.00 going back with

stock parts. Here are a few pics.

2011-02-22_19-35-30_496.jpg

2011-02-22_19-37-09_593.jpg

2011-02-22_19-36-41_47.jpg

2011-02-22_19-36-32_602.jpg

2011-02-22_19-36-18_659.jpg

The T5 is completely taken apart and washed. I purchased a rebuild kit and have to order a cluster shaft and input shaft. The gears look to be in good shape.

I have also been working on the rear of the body. Had to patch several areas around the trunk seal. I also patched several areas on the trunk filler panel and have started welding it back in. I need a couple measurements - I need the inside distance from side to side of the trunk area. The bottom should be around 52 1/2" and I need the top distance too. I also need from the end of the quarter panel to filler panel on each side. This measurement is around 21 inches. Basically I want to make sure the trunk lid fits like it suppose too. I have been setting the trunk lid in place and doing some fitting that way, but I would like to know what the factory measurements are.

I really would appreciate it if someone could supply me with those measurements. I plan to get alot done on it this weekend. I got in my new rear window weatherstrip\rubber seal and was wondering if anyone has ever done this install. I was looking at the rubber seal and can't really determine which side goes to the outside. The bottom of seal is much thicker on one side than the other, just need to know which side the thick goes toward. Any tips on installation will be appreciated also.

I really would appreciate it if someone could supply me with those measurements. I plan to get alot done on it this weekend. I got in my new rear window weatherstrip\rubber seal and was wondering if anyone has ever done this install. I was looking at the rubber seal and can't really determine which side goes to the outside. The bottom of seal is much thicker on one side than the other, just need to know which side the thick goes toward. Any tips on installation will be appreciated also.
can you snap a pic of the area to be measured ?

can you snap a pic of the erea to be measured ?
I don't think yours will work Tn..he has a coupe not a fastback..

can you snap a pic of the erea to be measured ?
I don't think yours will work Tn..he has a coupe not a fastback..
WELL Scheiße!

Once I get my butt in gear this morning...I'll try to take some pics and measurements for you of my vert's trunk area.
Ok I took some measurements...and had the kid try and take some pictures...so I apologize for the poor quality of the pics.

[attachment=2657]

[attachment=2658]

[attachment=2659]

[attachment=2660]

and the final pic didn't turn out at all but the measurement from base of trunk across opening was 52.5"

Hope this helps

Thanks alot, that really helps. I am going to try and get the filler panel and tail light panel completely welded in this weekend.

I am thinking about welding the seem where the filler panel meets the quarter panel. Give it that seemless look. Any pros

or cons in doing that?

Back