1971 Mach 1 CL

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That started life with a Diamonds are Forever-type exterior - no black stripes, and no hood blackout; hence the side moldings.

However, most molding-equipped cars are painted up to the molding, where the paint transitions from the blackout to the main color. This is the correct appearance, even if the stripes are incorrectly added later. The striped look over the moldings looks awkward, but does not look obnoxiously incorrect.

On the other hand, whoever did this mess went ahead and painted the lower body blackout treatment past the molding line, in order to add the pinstripe transition used exclusively on the striped cars. That's fine - if it did not have the molding. You can't have both and expect it to look good. Whoever shot this thing didn't understand that bit of simplicity in logic:

359gwv4.jpg

Stripes aren't terminated at the rear either (tacky beyond words) and the taillight panel hasn't been blacked out behind the honeycomb at the taillamps:

jj8mjl.jpg

Exhaust sits too deep.

Too bad, as it looks to be a half-decent refurb. Certainly not a $35k car - not even if flawless and done correctly. Maybe $20k if it were a toploader car done perfectly. Easy $12k if correct, but what I see is a $8k car made to look like a $12k car with a $2k paint job, which will probably sell for $10k. So much for that $2k paint job adding any value.

And since were at it, I might as well vent: What do stripe-on-molding folks have against grinding the molding studs off when doing a strip-and-repaint? If they're going to buck originality by plastering the non-original stripes on the car, why not do it right and get rid of the molding too?

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the stripes are painted on. They are too wide in front of the front wheels, and yes, they extend too far down on the end caps. Does it have nitrous or something? What is the vertical tube in front of the battery?

On page 209 of the Mustang Recognition Guide, there is a 73 vert with stripes and lower moldings. Doesn't look as bad on that car.

That's as close to mine as I've seen. Red, stripes and lower molding. Hockey sticks looks way weird though...

To me it's another case of the law of diminishing returns ... Someone has spent quite a bit of time a money trying to get it "finished" thinking that a profit is guaranteed....not so in many cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's as close to mine as I've seen. Red, stripes and lower molding. Hockey sticks looks way weird though...

To me it's another case of the law of diminishing returns ... Someone has spent quite a bit of time a money trying to get it "finished" thinking that a profit is guaranteed....not so in many cases.
With one difference - yours doesn't have a funky grouping of lower body pinstriping and the molding. It's not offensive, like the C-list car - it is finished the way any Ford dealer would have done it had they applied stripes to a molding car.

-Kurt

With one difference - yours doesn't have a funky grouping of lower body pinstriping and the molding. It's not offensive, like the C-list car - it is finished the way any Ford dealer would have done it had they applied stripes to a molding car.

-Kurt
Big +1.

Well said Kurt.

Ray

I think the stripes are painted on. They are too wide in front of the front wheels, and yes, they extend too far down on the end caps. Does it have nitrous or something? What is the vertical tube in front of the battery?

On page 209 of the Mustang Recognition Guide, there is a 73 vert with stripes and lower moldings. Doesn't look as bad on that car.
I think the vertical tube is a fancy chrome overflow tank.

I see said the blind man! Yes, I don't think I've seen any car with the chrome and the black pin stripe together.

Doesn't look disgusting ... Just a bit superfluous.

How can someone do that accidentally? Is it possible that that is the look he is after? To be different?

It is still a dream car to the right spontaneous person with no frame of reference who isn't a stickler for authenticity....

Latest posts

Back