1972 rear sway bar bushing kit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael O’Harran

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Mustang 351C
Currently Under Restoration
Why am I having a hard time finding these bushings and mounts. Should be easy but I’m running into issues. I looked for videos and they all seem to have worthier not 71-73 or they are front sway bars. I am needing them and told I could just get them at the local store so I look online to see where they are in stock and I’m having issues. Do the rear mounts look different from the front mounts?

Why am I having a hard time finding these bushings and mounts. Should be easy but I’m running into issues. I looked for videos and they all seem to have worthier not 71-73 or they are front sway bars. I am needing them and told I could just get them at the local store so I look online to see where they are in stock and I’m having issues. Do the rear mounts look different from the front mounts?
What sway bar do you have? factory or aftermarket and what brand? Do you want the bushing that hold the bar to the frame or the spring mounts. I need more info before I or anyone can offer suggestions.
With the Mach 1, you ought to have staggered shocks. If so the rear bar will mount differently to a non staggered shock car.
More info = more help.

It’s the stock bars and yes staggered shocks. Looking for the rear mount and bushing. If I recall the front was a 3/4” and the rear 1/2”

If you have the stock sway bar, I feel your pain as I went through the same issue. I was able to get a repro sway bar end link kit, mine was all rusted out and I had to cut it off, but the 1/2" bushings for the standard Mach 1 sway bar is not available. Thankfully my sway bar bushings were still good so I cleaned them, put some bushing grease on them and reused them. Some people said to buy some 1/2" sway bar bushings from some import car, I did, but they really do not fit well. Here is the end link kit:
https://www.npdlink.com/product/end-link-kit-sway-bar/141872/200357?year=1971

If you have the stock sway bar, I feel your pain as I went through the same issue. I was able to get a repro sway bar end link kit, mine was all rusted out and I had to cut it off, but the 1/2" bushings for the standard Mach 1 sway bar is not available. Thankfully my sway bar bushings were still good so I cleaned them, put some bushing grease on them and reused them. Some people said to buy some 1/2" sway bar bushings from some import car, I did, but they really do not fit well. Here is the end link kit:
https://www.npdlink.com/product/end-link-kit-sway-bar/141872/200357?year=1971
Finally found a video for a 1971 Mach 1 rear sway bar install. Short and good. I and looking and can I just use front bushings on the rear as long as they are 1/2”? Also I saw a rear sway bar bracket for a 72, any idea where or how that gets worked in?

Finally found a universal fit by size 1/2” rear sway bar bushing kit. That was crazy trying to find. Everywhere wants to upsell the whole market to a 3/4” rear and 1” front. Maybe they are right, I don’t know, but plenty want original and man is that tough. Thanks for the help. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-19-1102-bl#overview

Michael, on my car, I dumped the original weak sway bars, opting for ADDCO 1 1/8" up front and the new revised 990 7/8" rear for my Mach 1 with no regrets. That 1/2" rear bar is about as useful as a toilet seat with no hole in it.
Unless you really want to stay as original, it's worth the upgrade for spirited driving if you like that sort of thing. Your choice of course.
This is the one in the video.

Finally found a universal fit by size 1/2” rear sway bar bushing kit. That was crazy trying to find. Everywhere wants to upsell the whole market to a 3/4” rear and 1” front. Maybe they are right, I don’t know, but plenty want original and man is that tough. Thanks for the help. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-19-1102-bl#overview
Make sure you get some grease for them, or they will squeak. You can get Prothane's or something like Lucas Red & Tacky.

Back