1972 Sportsroof build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been out of the loop here for quite some time. I don't have a computer and being in the military definitely draws the majority of my time.

I ended up getting a nice little Lincoln MIG welder.

I have begun replacing/repairing the sheetmetal on the car. So far I have the passenger rear floor replaced, the P/S front fender apron replaced, and I'm repairing the cowl now. I just got the rear driver floor so that will be getting done when I'm finished with the cowl. Still need a roof section.

I'm pretty proud d of how good my first little patch piece for the cowl is turning out, considering I have no real metal working tools, just a grinder, hammer, and some pliers.

It's not perfect, but this is literally my first time ever replacing sheetmetal, and I think I'm doing alright. Just need to get some weld through primer. Any suggestions?

20140906_190547.jpg

20141011_154907.jpg

20140616_204017.jpg

IMG_20140627_174452.jpg

20141017_194349.jpg

20141019_183208.jpg

Looks pretty damn good to me for having no prior metal working experience and basic tools! Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

That were my thoughts too. Keep up the good work and keep us updated with your progress when you can.

Little progress, almost got the P/S patch done.

88e984fbd7803aef373b49096096b471.jpg

Well it's better late than never right? After a 6 year hiatus and a bunch of huge life changes, it's time to resume the work on my car. Now in a tiny one car garage (but better than a carport which is where the car was at for 4 years) I had a little motivation from my 2 year old son who is a car kid, and also Autoedits getting his car started up. I had everything stored inside the interior of the car, even both front fenders. I got the car cleaned out and everything up on the walls of the garage. Got a few odds and ends tools that I would need for metal work and began cutting out the driver seat platform and rear floor.

I've had to adjust my expectations and dreams to fit a more realistic budget and timeframe otherwise it's gonna be another 20 years before the car is done. I don't even remember what my whole plan was before but I am clear on what I want to do now.

Still going the protouring/restomod route. Going to go with TCP coilovers front and the 4 bar suspension rear. Those aren't cheap kits but I am pretty dedicated to making them happen for this car. Going to do a 5 speed conversion but will likely piece together my own swap because the Modern Driveline quote was $5k, way high for me. I think my plan before was to do a full 10 point roll cage but I will probably just do a hoop and the bars going down. Going to do a budget Brembo set of brakes on the front, (kit is about $600 so not too bad) and going to do a regular disc conversion on the back, might spring for drilled rotors when the time comes. Engine-wise, a aluminum headed 650 hp monster is not gonna happen, I've come to the realization that I had plenty of fun in the cars 270 hp (est) build before, so 450 or 500 hp is gonna feel insane. Will likely go with some 4V closed chamber heads, off the shelf solid roller cam, strip dominator intake, etc. I really wanted to go with a stroker before and if I can find a kit in my budget I'll go 408. If not then I'll still upgrade the rotating assembly though.

Going to put in the rear floor today. Going to buy some body hammers/dollies and see what kind of trouble I can get myself into in other areas of the car. I may try to get the seat platforms put back in today as well, or at least get everything prepped to go in. Need to do some research on this site to make sure I make everything as right as I can. I can grind, cut, and weld just fine but when it comes to primer, seam sealer, coatings, etc etc. I have zero experience, just need the car not to rust apart on me. If anyone reads this and wants to give me a rundown on what I should be doing when welding in these replacement panels I am definitely all ears. I have an 11 year old daughter that I have to make sure I am teaching the right ways to.

I just pulled the trigger on the dynacorn cowl. Pretty big step for me. Should be here next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back